Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lewis' Birth Story


I was scheduled to check in to St. Joseph's Hospital on November 13th at 9pm. I decided along with my doctor to be induced three weeks early to avoid having another "Max birth." I delivered Max's head and could not get his shoulders out for several minutes. He was stuck due to his size: 11.4 lbs to be exact. It was scary experience and I didn't want to risk that type of birth again. 

So, as with Benson I was induced three weeks early for Lewis' birth. 
Check in took several hours as it always seems to in the hospital. It takes time you fill out the paperwork, answer the questions, wait for your room to be ready, change into a hospital gown, get your IV's all hooked up and everything set up. 

My nurse started the pitocin drip somewhere around 11 or midnight at a level 2. She checked me and I was dilated to a 2.5. My dose was increased by two every few hours throughout the night. I didn't get much sleep. I felt like it was the night of a dozen cat naps. I wish they could be described as power naps but with an IV needle horribly placed on the top of my hand and the monitoring devices strapped to my belly I wasn't particularly comfortable.

Several friends have asked why I would want to go in at night to begin the induction process. My response is that because I have consistently labored about 15-16 hours with every baby I would rather suffer through a night at the beginning stages of labor than deliver a baby in the wee hours of the morning. Either way it isn't convenient because you are sleep deprived and uncomfortable but that is my explanation for being admitted at night and not early in the morning.

So after a long night my nurse came in to check me and I was dilated to a 3. I recall being terribly frustrated that after seven or so hours I only dilated 0.5 cm. It seemed like my body was not cooperating. At least it wasn't to my expectation.

Hours went by, pitocin was increased and very slow progress was made. At 3pm my nurse checked me and I was a 5...a lousy, lame old FIVE!!!
Within the next hour my water broke (thanks to Lewis' kung fu kick!) and I was fully dilated and effaced, ready to push. 

I had to wait for my doctor who was on his way to hospital. I was also hoping to wait long enough for Melissa to arrive (I wanted her to take pictures of Lewis' birth).
I felt a lot of pressure and I felt some stress and anxiety about not having my doctor at the birth. I have such a bond with Dr. Nelson and didn't want anyone else to help me deliver my baby.

I was relieved to see Dr. Nelson walk in and I started pushing immediately.
At 4:23 Dr. Nelson told me to reach down and pull my baby out. I remember being nervous that I would lose my grip on his soft, slippery body. Within seconds he was lying on my chest with his squishy cheek pressed up against mine while I "shooshed" in his ear.

There really are no words to describe such a sublime moment. It is when I feel closest to heaven and the most deeply fulfilled as a woman.

Moments later, Melissa arrived and began taking pictures. Several minutes after that my mom, dad, Jessica, James, Max and Benson showed up ready to meet their new baby.

Thank you, Melissa for capturing this magical moment in photographs...these first two pics Brandon took right when Lew was born:

Such a perfect moment.

  He cried more than my other babies have right after his birth but calmed down after several minutes.

My puffy little pudge.

 Can you think of a better job?! I'm going to deliver babies in my next life ;)

Daddy, Lew and Dr. Nelson


I love that he has his own look--just like each of my boys.
They look like siblings but they each have their own unique features.

This is probably my favorite shot. So sweet.

 That bottom lip! Oh my heart!

 Daddy mimicking Lew's facial expression.

 Everyone waiting to meet their new baby!

 I love James' expression.

 Poor Benson was crying right before he came in the room b/c he accidentally got poked in the eye :(

 Benson was also pretty camera shy and uncomfortable with such a small room filled with so many people and machines.

 I was SO happy he was out of my body and in my arms. 

 Auntie Jess

 Nan & Opa


Our family is almost complete! :)









Welcome to the world, baby Lewis! 
We are thrilled you have joined our family. We feel so blessed to have you in our lives!

3 comments:

Fawn Becker said...

I LOVE the first two pics. You look SO beautiful Joanie!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

I love the "almost complete" part... that is exactly how I felt after Zander was born...Exactly.

Aim said...

Oh my gosh I just happened to check your blog today and I am so glad I did! Such a beautiful post! I love his squishiness! You look so beautiful and happy. Congrats to all of you!