Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Baseball



This is James with his buddy, Ethan. This photo pretty much sums them up!



As a mother of four sons I feel this tremendous pressure to push my boys to be athletic. 
I honestly don't care if they aren't interested in sports. I do know however that a vast majority of boys are passionate about some sport whether it be basketball or tennis or whatever.
Your athletic ability and knowledge of professional teams and players seems to play a fairly integral part in the boy culture. 

My job as a mother (at least this is what I have determined after much thought) is to provide my sons opportunities to participate in a variety of extracurricular activities, sports included so they can decide what they are passionate about.
If its football: fine. If it's chess and crochet: cool.
I just want them to find their "thing" whatever it may be...and video games DO NOT COUNT! ha.


 We signed James up for Pony League Baseball for spring ball and learned a lot.

1. James does not enjoy baseball

2. James believes he is far better than he really is (this ended up being a great strength because there were several situations that would have destroyed his confidence. Thanks to his healthy self esteem, he muscled through and did his best.

3. James is a supportive, thoughtful team player. He isn't afraid to yell a compliment or word of encouragement from the dug out.
4. James is not driven by competition. He is  more concerned about the feelings of others and whether or not they are happy and having fun.

5. James is a finisher. As mentioned in number one he did not love baseball. He dreaded it some days and yet he finished out the season with a smile.

I am so proud of you, James and I love the wonderful boy you are becoming every day!





0 comments: