Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Cruise Life



 If you are a glutton, an alcoholic or over the age of 70 then you will fit right in to the cruising life. I fit in none of those categories (well, truth be told...the glutton category might suit me but I prefer the term: "foodie" thank you very much).

Enchantment of the Sea is a beautiful cruise ship complete with every bell and whistle conceivable. But what do I know about cruise ships? This was our very first experience cruising.

Being the high maintenance brat that I am I asked, (politely), if B would splurge and book a balcony room for us. He kindly obliged without any hesitation (haha). 

Honestly, I was reeaaaallly concerned about two things: claustrophobia and sea sickness. I knew the slightly larger room equipped with a balcony would help me feel less trapped and at the end of the day, B even agreed it was worth the extra money. 

I'm happy to report, I had zero issues with claustrophobia but the first day I was a bit nauseous. By day two it was smooth sailing and I hardly felt like I was on the water at all. 


We took a tour of Nassau, Bahamas with a native man who was our very best friend--until the end of the tour, anyway. 
The huge rock wall/ravine behind us was chipped away by hand by slaves to create a protective bunker of sorts for soldiers.
We ate the most incredible shrimp and soaked in the sun after the tour and before getting back on the ship.


 

We really enjoyed the formal night on the ship. When do you ever get to dress up and play Cinderella? It was absolutely lovely to have my man ALLLL to myself and without the distraction of cell phones or children
It was SUCH a relaxing vacation.

One of the stops was Cocoa Cay. It's a tiny island in the Bahamas owned by the cruise line. So, there are no natives that live there or anyone else. It's simply an island for cruisers to relax and enjoy the water. By lunch, it was pouring rain and all the umbrellas were being used by other people so B and I ate our lunch at a picnic table in the middle of the downpour. It was a  memorable moment and we took the opportunity to laugh about it as unpleasant as it was (although how could anything possibly be labeled as unpleasant when you are with your favorite person, in a beautiful place)?!


We went snorkeling in Nassau and laughed as the fish attacked our ziplock baggie of fish food. In fact, B got so freaked out by how many were swarming him that he chucked the bag! It was hilarious. I quickly swam after it and saved the poor fishies from the plastic that would surely be their doom.
As insecure as I felt about being in open water like that I enjoyed the sea life and blue waters.




On the last night of the cruise they had a karaoke night. I think they had karaoke one other night but it started at 10pm or something and me and B are old people so we were warm in our bed by that hour.
I sang a Michelle Branch song and it felt good to be on stage with microphone in hand. I'm not much of performer but I love to belt out the chorus especially to Michelle Branch songs. 
Too fun.



We had a few days on the front end and tail end of the cruise in a small port town called Cape Canaveral.
Funny enough me and B discovered a hobby together. We scoured every flea market, antique shop and vintage store in the area and surprisingly there were quite a few to browse!
I found this poor fox and thought of Lewie and how much he might like me to bring that "Foxy" home with me. 

All in all we would highly recommend a cruise for those looking to have an all inclusive, super relaxed vacation. It was especially lovely for me to be free from meal planning, prepping and clean up. I didn't make a meal, a bed or change a diaper for 8 glorious days!




0 comments: