Friday, March 20, 2009

Forum Part 2:

As an aspiring writer I wanted to learn all I could at the forum *see previous post* about literary agents, submissions, editors, publishers, contracts, and how each element of the submission process works.
Literary Agent: Do I need one to be published? Aren't they just the "middle man" who sucks all my profits? What do they do really?
No, you don't need one but they can be helpful. They take between 10-20 percent of your profits. Literary agents deal with the contracts between the publisher and writer. They work as a mentor of sorts and their greatest asset is their ability to get their foot in the door with certain publishers.
Abby Ranger (editor for Hyperion-Disney publishing) said that she does not read a single submission unless it has been recommended by a literary agent she knows and has a relationship with. She said the "slush pile" is stacked so high that she just can't get through it all. A bit discouraging, I know. Cool story/sidenote: she gave every one at the forum a sticker to put on ONE submission that she promised she would read. How awesome is that?! I'm working on a YA novel right now called, "Creating June" but I have to submit it in less than six months (that's the deadline she gave us).
In terms of submission requirements you MUST have a well written and engaging query letter. I won't bore you with the details of "how to" b/c you can google that yourself and figure it out.
The query letter is ALL you are supposed to submit and if you sell yourself and more importantly your story well then the editor/publisher will request a partial or full manuscript.
I'll finish this series with Part 3 next week...'till then, friends :)

2 comments:

The Skeehan Family said...

Okay... so.. I have many blogs to comment on due to my MIA-ness, and since I found myself telling an old college friend about you the other night when she passed through town, I have been thinkng of you endlessly and thought I need to say hi ya.

First off,

1. Bangs look hot, love that you are brave enough to try them out - I don't think I can get past a not-so-fun experience in 6th grade to ever try again.
2. Going with the theme - you legs look wicked hot in that pic of you guys in Utah... but seriously, I hate you for your legs (or love you but hate my cankles, take your pick)
3. Love that you make people come see you when you are in Utah - you make me laugh.
4. Which brings me to the most important... if there is one thing you are awesome at it is telling a story and telling it in an extremely creative, alluring, attention-grabbing way - I think you pursuing this is like maple syrup and hot, powdered-sugary french toast - it just makes sense, goes together and needs to happen. Mmmmmm........

Good luck Joanie.

eyre blog said...

What ever happened to the book you wrote? I love love that you are working on a series. Make it happen Joan!