Before I got pregnant with Max I took the 90 day Body For Life challenge to lose fat and build muscle. It was a lot of work but well worth it. I made a promise to myself then that I would always get back to 150 lbs. (my weight when I got married and shortly thereafter pregnant with Jimmie and when I finished BFL) before I get pregnant again.
Exactly one week ago I got on the scale and it said 155. Five pounds is no big deal. I may sound like I micromanage my weight but I'm really okay with the five pounds...just trying to keep the goal I started with. (Side note: Brandon is not ready to get pregnant again but I am--which is our typical dynamic).
So, last Monday I began busting my bum in diet and exercise. I was a good girl and had small meals which included one or some of the following: egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, vegetables, fruit, whole wheat tortillas, Lara Bars, soy meat, protein shakes...etc. I ran five of the seven days (in 100 plus degree heat) and rotated 3 sets of push-up and sit-ups everyday. Like I said: busted my bum.
As much as I was tempted, I waited till this morning (exactly a week after my strict regimen began) to weigh myself.
The scale still said 155! WHAT THE (insert profanity here)!?
I realize that muscle weighs more than fat and I likely transferred fat for muscle but still...come on! Not one measly pound to motivate me for anther week of agony?
Yes, this post is a plea for sympathy from all the women who hate the scale as much as I do!
Monday, July 13, 2009
The Scale is NOT My Friend
Posted by Joan at 8:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
A. I ADORE you for being honest about your weight in its actual number. Most women never admit to the number, which is silly and only further aggravates the idea that we think every average, healthy looking girl could not possibly weigh more than 120 pounds. Come on, we all know we weigh more than that (and I think I look good too).
B. This is why I HATED Body for Life. I was forced to obsess about my diet and life. You have to eat six times a day and do your workouts, which means you begin obsessing about what/when and how much and what kind and all the things that make you miserable and deprived. Remember: what you focus on GROWS.
Oh how I feel your pain though!
Curse the never ending quest for perfection!
Rae
Joan, I had this same thing happen to me yesterday :( I feel your pain. I have been busting my bum for our California trip next month, exercising more and eating less....well....I was so proud of myself and people said I looked like I lost weight and guess what?! It was the same...158...I was devastated! I was literally near tears after I left the gym. But sweet Francis gave me a pep talk about how much more muscle weighs and sometimes toning up does not make you lose actual pounds. It helped because it made me realize it is not all about the scale, it is about how I felt good about how I looked before I stepped on the scale. By the way, i have not seen you in person in a LONG time but you always, always look great!
You are absolutely amazing. I am never that motivated and I envy your ability to set a goal and go for it. My advise? Ask yourself this
1. Do you feel good - physically, emotionally, and most importantly, spiritually?
2. When you put on your clothes - the one's you spend MOST of your time wearing, do you like the way they fit?
If all of this is in order, then just be happy : - )
You've got WAY bigger things to be worried about....See you soon!
now i know why you sent the popcorn home with me last night! (and why you were probably cursing my name for bringing over the peach pie . . . sorry)
i agree with b's sister. while the scale number matters to me, it is more important to me that my clothes fit the way i want them too. if that is happening, then who cares what the scale says!
besides you are hot!
oh, and one more thing for what it's worth. . . my dr. told me that in this heat our bodies hang onto extra water too. i don't know if he was specifically talking about "pregnant bodies" or "every body" but just thought i would throw that out there too :)
water weight is better than fat weight right?
You are so good! Good work and keep it up. You might want to try something different like Fit Yummy Mummy. That is how I lost all my baby weight after Gwen and I only had to exercise 15-20 min./day and it amazingly worked, well you saw my pics, right? I always like to mix it up. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Oh I HATE that! You work your butt off & then nothing! Or at least you didn't GAIN. I've had that happen. But then in a couple of days I'll weigh myself again & have lost like 3 lbs. So don't get too discouraged. The scale always wants you to feel bad. And it's probably totally off anyway. You most likely weigh something like 120. Sweet honesty! Love it!
I don't care what the scale says, you are SEXY! Don't stress over your weight, I like you just the way you are. :)
Yay for Brandon's comment! But I totally understand. I have been working out pretty good and eating well the last 6 months, but if I don't for even a few days- bam- up a pound of two. It is IMPOSSIBLE. I said I would get down to pre-baby weight before I got prego again, but at this rate it is SO NOT happening. Oh the joys of being a woman!
Joan, I totally agree that it is all about how you feel, not what the scale says. Also, weight doesn't matter. If you really want to know if you are losing fat, you should measure places you want to lose fat (ex. waist, hips, arms, etc.) and then measure themevery week and see if you are losing inches. But I think you look awesome!!
Ok, you have got to one of the BRAVEST people I know! Good for you to put your weight on there(although I agree with Denae, in that I think you are in the 120s). I totally have a love/hate relationship with the scale. Mostly hate. I don't think I've looked at my weight since the beginning of the summer! I've totally fallen off the wagon and need to get back on! But truly, I think you are beautiful! I do know how you feel when you know that you've put on a few pounds, even though maybe nobody else can see it. And then you may get in shape, and then...you get pregnant, ALWAYS happens. :) Awww...the never-ending struggle!
I hear ya -- I got back on the treadmill about 9 days ago (it had been a few months) and have only missed one day of it since, plus have been watching my food intake & lots more fruits & veggies & etc... at first I lost 2 pounds right away but then this morning saw that I had gained it back?? I hope there really is something to the water weight theory!
P.S. you do look amazing though!
the thing is...you'll probably get back on tomorrow and it will say 145. With 5 lbs. it could just be water or a full tummy. Also, I think there is kind of some lag time with weight loss. It will probably all catch up to next week. And I agree with Brandon...you are hot!
It's totally frustrating when you work really hard and don't see the results you think you should get! Good for you for working out! I bet it feels great. And having a husband tell you that you look hot is always way helpful. Mark always says I have a rockin body, and it makes me blush and I totally believe him. I hear you on the weight loss thing, though. All I would love to loose is 5 pounds but I cannot for the life of me loose it! I guess it doesn't help that my knee prevents me from working out, but also I've read with my ovary condition it makes loosing weight very difficult (hormone issues among other things). Lucky me. No babies and extra weight that won't budge. Awesome. But I don't mean to complain. Like you, I'm ok with the extra 5.
I love your honesty and on a side note, really impressed that you're writing a novel!! Wow!
1. can't wait to see your pennant banner.
2. love your wall panels
3. sorry about the week of hard work and no change on the scale. that is such a bummer. but hey, the most important thing is keeping up with that healthy routine. you will totally see the results. (p.s. you look freakin' great anyway. don't worry your gorgeous head.)
4. it was soooo fun when you were here. i've got photos to email you.
5. loves.
Hi Joan!!! Just do what we did in sixth grade...i don't really remember what we did but I think it worked...I think we ate rice crackers and yogurt? LOL Good for you for at least working out...I have't worked out since I had hayden for real!!! I really want to just to feel good...but it seems impossible..I miss my aerobics classes at the Village..Oh the good old life:) Love you.. You know I think you always look great:)
Post a Comment