Wednesday, August 26, 2009

BuMpY

James is on his period today. I know, I know four year old boys aren't supposed to menstruate but mine does...at least he has the mood swings of a prepubescent teenage girl (not to mention the curiosity).
Today has been a bit of a bumpy hay ride. Here are a few reasons why:

  • James has forgotten how to speak using anything but exclamatory sentences. He's either yelling or whining (slight exaggeration, but not by much).
  • My car overheated on the way home from the mall. Two words regarding the forecast: HEAT ADVISORY. I honestly don't blame my poor little Civic for throwing in the towel. I would have too.
  • James asked me how Melissa (my friend we met at the mall with her two little girls) got a baby in her tummy. I attempted to avoid answering by responding with a question, "Do you want Mommy to have a baby in her tummy one day soon?" He replied, "Yes, but how does the baby get inside there?" I chuckled a little bit and replied, "Well, Daddy and I share in a special hug and it makes a baby." I was applauding myself for being so quick under the gun when James slapped me back into reality by saying, "MOM! But how does the baby get in your tummy!?" I said, "I will tell you about that when you turn eight."
    "But MOM, I really, really want to know NOW!" (Can you believe this kid???) Ps: I highly recommend THIS book.
  • Was literally TWO inches away from stepping on a scorpion on my kitchen floor. SO scary.
Survival Tip: Trader Joe's Hummus dip. I have eaten the entire 16 oz tub in two and a half days which may not sound terrible but if you consider how many tortilla chips accompanied the dip then you'll realize it wasn't the healthiest snack choice. My palate would disagree with you, though :) Emotional eater, you say...Um, yeah. Thankfully, I have other outlets besides food like reading, running, and writing.

10 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

My favorite response for the baby question? Heavenly Father puts a baby in mommy's tummy....however, a "special hug" is needed first....lol

Wait until he is older and blurts out, after announcing that you are having a baby, "EEEEWWWWWWW....you guys had sex??!?!?!!?!?!?" That was Bridger's response to our birth announcement!

Kate said...

Oh man... I've been craving hummus lately. I'm going to have to stop at Trader Joe's tomorrow. I pass one 6 times a day on my drives to and from the boys' school.
And....
I love that book too. I was feeling pretty prepared this pregnancy because I was sure my 7.5-year-old was going to ask all the hard questions... but he hasn't ever asked ANYTHING about how the baby got in there. I was almost disappointed because I was all ready to explain the bare minimum while telling him we'd have the special talk when he turned 8. I even got the book the Eyre's suggest in their book. ANYWAY.... he still hasn't asked. Oh well.

sara said...

So funny. My kids haven't asked many questions yet, but they have been completely satisfied by the explanation that the baby starts out as a tiny egg that's already in the mom's body. They know there has to be a daddy but really haven't questioned daddy's role, yet...

Mandee said...

hahahahahah---Joan I love your posts! They are the best! and yes, i believe boys can have "period moments" too! brian has some days where he bawls about EVERYTHING!! just wait till you have a girl! Sydnee's even worse! LOL!
bummer about your car--we have had practically a whole summer of over 100 degrees everyday--i'm soooo ready to move!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that... I was really beginning to wonder about Thomas...it seems like he is constantly screaming or whining about something! I thought maybe he was having a hard time adjusting, but maybe it's just being four! :) (though, I do think he is having a hard time as well, since he has been having pee and poo accidents lately) or is that a four thing, too?

Jimmy is so curious :) I think he reminds me of somebody (I think she's a blonde beauty, maybe?:)

Fawn Becker said...

I hear ya on the yelling, Kali seems like she is always barking orders. Maybe it is just part of being 4 :) I told Kali daddys put babies in mommys tummys.... thankfully she just said okay and left it at that.

LilMisfit said...

"Special hug?" Is that what you guys are calling it these days? :) I was laughing out loud at that part of your post. I have SO been there with Brooklyn. When I was pregnant last year, I tried to be pretty clear about what was happening inside of me. She knew about the uterus, placenta, and even how the baby came out. One day we were in Old Navy and it was pretty crowded. She blurts out, "Mom, I know that Heavenly Father puts the baby in your tummy, but how EXACTLY does it get in there?" I told her that we would talk about it when we got back in the car, so I had a few minutes to come up with an appropriate answer. I gave her the basic egg and sperm part of the talk. Luckily she didn't ask me, "But how EXACTLY do the egg and sperm get together?"

thebusbyfamily said...

i hope your car didn't actually die on you!? hopefully you were at least able to get home -- yikes!

by the way, i found a scorpion in my house the same day. ohhh, how i hate those little critters!

K said...

Are you just the super mom or what!? Raising boys is not easy--add on that an over heated car, a heat advisory and a scorpian, with a side of sex questions. So....YES, YOU ARE THE SUPER MOM.

I so love you and think your just every kind of wonderful:)

eyre blog said...

oh man. from the first sentence I was so bothered that bear lake is over. I miss you guys. bad.