When Robert Pattinson was cast as Edward Cullen he faced some intense animosity and opposition from Twilight book fans. The Internet flooded with negative feedback: he's too hairy, too skinny, and ugly. The media and the majority of the Twilight fandom ate him for breakfast. Robert has since said in interviews that he was not even going to audition for the part b/c he himself did not think he fit the physical description of human perfection--ie: Edward Cullen. You can imagine the guys that showed up to that audition. I think the following could sum up that crowd of would be Edwards: Inflated, egotistical, muscle bound, pretty boys (most of whom I would imagine were model types with very little acting experience). It wasn't until Rob received a call from Catherine Hardwick herself, the director of Twilight, that he flew to L.A. to audition with Kristen Stewart. KStew had been cast as Bella already, but now the challenge was finding her Edward.
Blah, blah, long story short Kristen has been quoted as saying, "It has to be Rob," or she wouldn't do the movie. Catherine Hardwick happily agreed after recognizing the obvious "chemistry" between KStew and RPatz commenting that with a little make-up, a shave, and a good haircut he could be transformed into the beautiful Edward that Stephenie Meyer describes in her books.
Fast forward almost two years to the present time and you wouldn't have a clue that any opposition against Rob existed. He is the paparazzi king with his face on the cover of dozens of nationally distributed magazines such as: Bazaar, Vanity Fair, GQ, Entertainment, People, & US just to name a few. His name has gone from "that guy from the Harry Potter movie" to Hollywood's biggest heartthrob.
fyi: The Killers and Lykke Li songs {no. 1 & 2 on my playlist} are on the New Moon soundtrack.

9 comments:
ok, so I wasn't a huge fan of the first movie... I couldn't decide if it was them or just being such a low budget film for such a hyped up movie...
then I saw him on Jay Leno for Twilight and he hadn't even read the book! He really came across as not knowing what was going on. I think that's why the more fantasy aspects of the book fell flat on the screen Hopefully, he's realized how "important" it is to some people and further researched his character :)
Adriana: He hadn't read the book before he landed the part...but he read it before filming Twilight.
joan...ANYTIME you want to meet in st, george just let me know. my parents have a place there and i would love to see you!!! it would even be fun with the kids, there is a pool, hot tub and huge park/water area. let me know if it's tempting enough.
xoxo
I haven't commented on Twi-tuesdays because I'm not worthy: I still haven't read the books yet. I know, I know, I know. But I will, i will.
But I DO consider qualifying myself to speak on this subject: Robert is HOT BUNS HUBBA HUBBA GOOD STUFF. Seriously. He's THE REASON I will read the books now.
And of course I mean this in a very artistic, I'm-happily-married to-an-intoxicating-hot-man-myself and therefore secure enough to comment objectively on the physical attributes of men I'm not "really" interested in.
RAe
Ps. The only thing missing about the movie coming out will be my Joanie - oh how I'd love to squeal with you like a 13 year old during the movie. So fun.
I am not a Twilighter but I think Edward is a mini-throw up. He needs a bottle of soap and a washcloth--ha!
Oh and I would love to meet at Desert Ridge Joanie! It would be so fun to see you and the boys again :) The DR story times are really cute too.
you know how i feel about RP as edward . . . boo!
that being said, i think it is more of an issue with a book being made into a movie for me. the movies NEVER measure up! i probably would've been disappointed with any actor they chose for edward. how could anybody possibly measure up to the edward i cooked up inside my head while reading twlight?!
Little side note. Some friends of ours own a movie theater and they invited me to see this today. Totally saw it and thought of you a lot today because of that. It was pretty good...!!!
When they cast him I thought... "I can see it. He has that jaw & brooding-ish face" and I think he's done a fine job.
I love the movie. Mostly because there are parts that are just SO BAD. There are those good parts too, but a good chunk of the time I laugh. It's just jolly fun & can't be taken too terribly seriously.
just checkin' out your blog and loving' the twilight posts!
Post a Comment