Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby


This afternoon I was driving with Max on our way to pick up James from his friend's house. Max pointed and said, "Baby?" I didn't quite know what he was referring to and asked, "What do you mean, 'baby'?" He pointed toward me and said, "Baby, fummy?" (Translation: "Is there a baby in your tummy?") I smiled and said, "No, Son. I don't have a baby in my tummy but maybe soon."
His response was his usual, "Oh." And that was that.
Less than an hour later, when James was home with us, he asked me if I had a baby in my tummy yet. I smiled and said, "Nope. Not yet." He replied, "Oh, Mom! I really want a baby sister!" I told him I did too. Then he said, "Mom, after school tomorrow can you and Daddy have a 'special hug' so I can get a baby sister?"
It was a moment in motherhood that I will not soon forget. After I picked up my jaw from the floor I responded, "Yes, James. Daddy and I can do that." He responded with a grin from ear to ear and an exaggerated, "Yesssssss!"
Rest assure, friends that James does not know the details of the "special hug" --- as we call it. We have simply explained that when mommy and daddy have a special hug it can make a baby.
TMI in this post? Welcome to my blog...I don't hold anything back :)

13 comments:

Megan said...

I laughed out loud. I like your honesty. Plus, I think your boys are HILARIOUS

K said...

Oh, my heart. My heart.

Olivia Carter said...

HAHA! That's hilarious!

And P.S. I appreciate blogs that keep it real!

Rachel Haack said...

Oh my fuNNY. Laugh out loud funny, i even called ty at work and told him the story. We've been special hugging ourselves lately (TMI TMI TMI, here's to keep it TOO real) trying to get our own (but i'm sure you can guess we're hoping for a BOY!).
Your boys faces make me melt. Especially that shot of Max's eyes - it is INSANE how much him and London mirror each other! It's like they were soul siblings separated at birth or something!

Oh, the scars Jimmie will suffer when he's 20 and reads this post! Yes Jimmie - you actually applauded your parent's hugging.

:)

Rae

Katrina said...

that is so hilarious. you better get on it! ;-)

Fawn Becker said...

Kali and Kai have been asking the same thing lately. Kali drew a pic of our family and I was pregnant in the pic...too cute! What cute pics of your boys on this post:)

thebusbyfamily said...

I think its a good sign BOTH of your little men asked unprovoked about a baby .... maybe they know something you don't??

The Linfords said...

They are always saying the cutest things!! When are you going to make a book about a special hug (i know...someone was a MAJOR slacker) :) Get that little sister here girl!!

Denae said...

Oh my goodness. That is the best story ever! Thanks Joan! Enjoy your special hug & I've got my fingers crossed for your girl.

shannon said...

So funny! Kate is VERY interested in the process lately (since my sister is due any day)
I told her when a mommy and daddy love each other so much Heavenly Father puts a baby her her tummy.
Hmmmmm....what will I tell her when she realizes not all prego mom's have a husband.... hmmmmm.ah!
I guess we'll cross that road when we get there!

shannon said...

March is Todd's CRAZY month (they all are now with traveling)
Would you consider coming to St. George w/o Brand? or is that too far for you to go alone with the boys?
Me and the girls could meet you there easily.
Let me know and I'll look at the schedule.

xoxo

eyre blog said...

Please call me tomorrow and tell me that you're pregnant. We need a little Joanie in this world.

I read this to Noah and we just laughed. Your boys are the sweetest. Thank you for writing what they do down. They will love that. And I need the reminder to keep it up myself! Have you written down somewhere that you say to them "oh my head!" in the -i love my kids so much i might eat them- voice?

Pamela said...

Hi, You commented on my guest post at Bloom and I had to see what you were all about!! I love this post. I can soooo relate. My two boys ask all the time...when is another baby coming and can it be a girl?? Thanks, this made me laugh. Hopefully both our boys will get what they want (mommy too!)