Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Day of Love

one of my favorite love poems...
i carry your heart with me
by e. e. cummings
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

And now...a poem by yours truly:

The depth of my love is deeply rooted, complex, and winding like the thirsty roots of a tree weaving through the earth beneath us.
I feel entwined in you, your love, and the emotions that are the very make-up of my being.
Earnestly, I seek a moment with you, alone, in the warmth of your gaze. To taste the sweetness of your smile or feel the love of your laughter.
Ours is a love that cannot be calculated or captured.
It exists only inside you and me forever protected by the secrets of our souls.
Joan Koplin
written: January 7, 2009

Funny side note: when asking Brandon what he thinks of the above picture he said, "I look like a dweeb. But I'm kissing a hot girl so that makes me cool."


Happy Valentine's Day.

5 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Love ee cummings.

Love your poem.

And I love the picture.

Amanda Wilson said...

love the poems. So beautiful and love Brandon's comment. It sounds just like him...

Rachel Haack said...

That picture is hot stuff Joan!

Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day, you two love birds.

rae

JLEG said...

I didn't know that you were a poet. Now I think you're all the more amazing.

How about this one from E.E. Cummings:

you are like the snow only
purer fleeter, like the rain
only sweeter frailer you

whom certain flowers resemble but trembling (cowards
which fear
to miss within your least gesture the hurting
skill which lives) and since

nothing lingers beyond a little instant,
along with rhyme and with laughter
O my lady
(and every brittle marvelous breathing thing)

since i and you are on our ways to dust

of your fragility
(but chiefly of your smile,
most suddenly which is of love and death a marriage) you give me

courage
so that against myself
the sharp days slobber in vain:

Nor am i afraid that
this, which we call autumn, cleverly
dies and over the ripe world wanders with
a near and careful smile in his mouth (making

everything suddenly old and with his awkward eyes
pushing
sleep under and thoroughly
into all beautiful things)

winter, whom Spring shall kill

* * *

I just love the opening lines (in particular) and this one: "you give me courage so that against myself the sharp days slobber in vain"

Have a great day!

Jessica

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Love it! And Brandon - you do not look like a dweeb...you are my best looking brother! Oh where does the time go...I remember when you two were merely "dating".....