Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reunion

I tried desperately hard to get rid of the "fat arm"by using my special technique of popping my arm out--but to no avail.
Not only does my arm still look fat...it looks awkward. Doesn't vanity go out the door with pregnancy anyway? I don't know why I try so hard?! :)

On Monday afternoon I enjoyed a long over-due reunion with an old roommate and long time friend, Rachel. We met when we were both teenagers. She a little younger than I but very much on the same page: blonde, smart (she far more than I), often sassy, and seriously boy crazy (I hate admitting that...but it's true). We connected right away and found our paths crossing through the years (thanks to Rachel's mom, Alexis and a little serendipity).
It has been six years since we last saw each other...it was a monumental occasion. We met in the parking lot of the San Diego Temple. It was there (not in the parking lot, of course--but inside the SD Temple) that Rachel and Tyler were married for eternity together. I remember the sunlight filtering in through the stain glass windows on the upper floor of the Temple in the room where the wedding was performed. As cliche as it sounds, I felt like I was in another world...I remember thinking, "This must be what heaven is like."
Interesting that a wedding is what brought us as friends together again. Rachel's brother, Jacob was married in the Mesa Temple to a darling girl named, Erica. Brandon and I were able to witness their marriage as well. They were married in the same room that Brandon and I were six and a half years ago.
It was such a treat to have Rachel and Tyler in our home. Rachel and I are due days a part and so we were able to sit with our round bellies on the couch and talk, rub each others sore/fat feet, and yes, eat...one of the things we do best together :)
We committed (likely while eating a decadent treat of some kind) to run a sprint triathlon next fall together. We both need the motivation to get our selves back in shape and it is a great excuse to travel to Sparks, NV to see her and her lovely family (soon to add a third girl to the bunch). Oh, and can I also comment that Tyler (her husband) is a total catch. Tall, handsome, and SO thoughtfully sweet. She got a good one :)
They left today to reunite with their two little girls: Lily and London, both of whom were staying with Tyler's parents. I miss them already. James teared up this morning when I told him they were leaving on an airplane today. He requested that we take a picture of them so that we don't have to miss them as much. So cute.

6 comments:

K said...

Perhaps I'm biased, but I think you're one of those lucky ones who look literally RADIANT when they're pregnant. :) What a lovely, reminiscent post. Sharing huge milestones and a lot of history is a beautiful thing. What a blessing to have dear friends!

eyre blog said...

you are a good one!

Rachel Haack said...

Oh Joanie, what a sweet post! And I miss you already too!

Seriously, it was so refreshing to catch up in person...so weird that it had been so long. With truly good friends, it always seems you pick up right where you left off - it definitely felt that way for me. We could set a world record in conversation I swear!!! I never tire of hearing your thoughts on things. I think I've already done three impressions of you for family members of memorable things you said. haha, I laugh just thinking about it. Tyler and I were just discussing what a good time we had with you and Brandon and your charming boys (I will never forget them telling me I looked pretty. Seriously, can a pregnant lady get some more of that?!!!). Can't wait for next summer!

And I will never forgive you for posting this SIIIIIIICK picture of me!!!! AAAAAAAAAAACK!

thebusbyfamily said...

oh, just stop it with your "arm fat"

you are ridiculous!

you are also one of the sexiest (yes, sexy) pregnant ladies i've seen!

(and, rae, i've never met you, but you are equally as adorable)

xo

Brandon Koplin said...

I like your six pack abs. They are super sexy. What do you do to maintain so well?

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

I would like to do the triathlon with you...I started training a few weeks ago. May I join you? Love you tons!