Friday, November 18, 2011

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn Part 1


Much to your surprise, I'm sure, I did not attend the midnight showing as has been my tradition for the first three Twilight films. Last year, when I was nine months large, I went to see Eclipse at midnight and swore I would never do it again. After two 32 ounce Diet Cokes I felt like I was hopped up on heroine. Needless to say, I didn't sleep at all that night and it took me almost two days to fully recover. Not to mention the screaming tweeners that inevitably flock to the midnight showings. You end up missing half the dialogue because too many twelve year olds are awkwardly giggling and swooning over Jacob's six pack or Edward's...um, Edward's...lipstick? haha. Just kidding. I am all about Edward ;)

Okay, so on to my opinion of the movie. First off, I was SUPER nervous about how explicit the honeymoon scenes would be. Hollywood has a talent for taking something sweet and turning it into classless trash. I am happy to report that the sex scenes with Edward and Bella were well edited and for the most part appropriate (that is to say if sex scenes are at all appropriate in any way in a movie--which is questionable at best). A bit steamy but not overly graphic. With that being said, there is "partial nudity" in the rating warning and I did not notice any but a friend said she saw some nip. So, I may not have the most critical eye.

The wedding was stunning! My heart was pounding as I watched Bella walk down the isle. She acted out her nervousness well as she gripped onto Charlie's arm but the moment she caught eyes with Edward she had a look of complete confidence. I loved that moment.

I was a pleased with Taylor Lautner's performance. He is not a particularly brilliant actor but he played some challenging scenes well in this film. There was a line or two from him that was forced and unnatural but the guy gets enough criticism as it is. I say, well done Jacob :)

I was SO impressed with how well they made Bella look deathly ill during her pregnancy. She looked like she had lost twenty pounds for that part in the movie. She is already tiny but she looked sooo sickly and sallow. The make-up and special effects artists win a round of applause from me on that note, for sure.

My biggest complaint is the score in the movie. It was horrribbble! I read one review that said, elements that were not so good about the film: "a drippy, flutey orchestral score that sounds forcefully extracted from a Hallmark movie." It was painful! And music is such an integral and meaningful part of the film. It definitely detracted from the over-all appeal.

Breaking Dawn
lived up to the previous films and my expectations. I give it a 4 out of 5 rating (to those who have read the books). To those who have not read the books I would give the movie a 3 out of 5 stars. The reason for the two ratings is b/c people who have read the books appreciate and enjoy the Twilight movies more than those who have not.
Are any of you as irritated as I am about the fact that we have to wait an entire YEAR before part 2 comes out?! I mean, six months is one thing but next November?! Come on!

I'm interested to know your opinion of the movie, good or bad.
Please do share :)





Ps: The Christina Perri and Bruno Mars songs on my playlist are on the soundtrack. I like.





5 comments:

Joan said...

I really only really care about the picture of Bensie after this post but it is fun to see my darling girls. Love you soo

thebusbyfamily said...

the last 30-45 minutes made the movie for me for sure!!

as for the rest, well, I kept thinking when I read the book it didn't play out nearly so cheesy in my mind.

honestly, (as I think you are aware) I am never super pleased with books made into movies, BUT, I did enjoy and I am excited for part 2 :)

felicity said...

IDK i cant see it sad i know. Hope to see you all soon!!!!!

eyre blog said...

oh joan, seeing draking dawn would not be the same if we went without you. I think i'll wait until we meet again even if it is from red box. Maybe we could watch it king kong style on the projector for a date night

Danielle said...

I have no idea...I have only seen the first one, but you are so cute. I was totally thinking of you when I saw the commercials that this was opening.