Friday, January 13, 2012

Tolerance & Love

Can you stand this chubby faced little boy (James 18 months/2yrs)? Not to mention the dashingly handsome man holding him.

Last year
I began a tradition of choosing one overarching theme to be my New Year's resolution. I learned this idea from my talented friend, Danielle. Last year's was to be more open to allowing people into my life, my home, etc. Making time for others and not being so protective of my time and space...opening myself up to service and experiences that I typically would shy away from. I know that seems like a long winded goal. Nonetheless, it was my theme for last year.

This year my goal is to tolerate and love people I don't understand. Man o man I did not realize what a challenge this would be?! This goal has come with an awareness about myself that I have recognized in the past just not to the extent I do now: I am NOT like most people. I guess that's a good thing but it's also made my goal much more grandiose and challenging.
This goal has also taught me something else about myself (and it's only January 13th?!) I get frustrated when people don't see eye to eye with me. I think I'm accepting of other schools of thought but I'm painfully intolerant. It's really an unfortunate awareness. I don't like this about myself but I'm coming to find that I need to accept others even and especially if they don't agree with me--regardless of the topic.

Last night
during running group I realized that I differ immensely from my thoughts on when and how to teach my children (children in general) about anatomy, sex, etc. I guess I'm some kind of a perverse radical?! I realize it is a fine line between openly and flagrantly talking casually about sex and keeping it a sacred, precious topic. I think you can accomplish both! Not that I want my kids to be casual about sacred topics but I want them to approach ME with their concerns/questions/thoughts. I feel strongly that in order to achieve this level of trust and openness I need to begin from the time they are very small. There is nothing embarrassing or shameful or gross or weird or whatever about bodies and how they work. They are immaculate and glorious creations! My children will also learn and have learned from me that they are powerful and sacred and need to be carefully protected.
Of course our discussions are age appropriate but with that being said age appropriate has a very different meaning now than it did 30 years ago. When your six year old comes home from kindergarten and asks you what "F$*&K" means you quickly realize that in order for your children to learn things from you and not on the playground from the other children you have to start a bit younger than you may think. (Side note: no, I did not explain to James that the "F-word" is a slang and salacious term for sex. I just told him it is a horribly filthy word and he should never say it and if he hears others saying it he should ask them to stop).
Thank goodness for Richard and Linda Eyre who have raised 9 fabulous children (I can honestly say that because I've met every last one of their kids and happen to be close friends with one of them). I am thrilled that they have made it their livelihood to share their fine wisdom with the rest of us flailing fools (me at the front of that line). THIS BOOK is fantastic. I recommend it highly, of course but you may not agree with their approach...and that's okay because I am tolerant and I love people I don't agree with or understand :)

7 comments:

Kate said...

Question: How old was James when you started talking about it? And i just ordered that book because I've heard it's good... and have been wanting it. And i'm with you about this

thebusbyfamily said...

It sounds like I really missed out on some (heated?) conversation last night while I was eating instead of running. Dang it! I like good conversation :)

Oddly enough, while we were eating dinner last night our friends told us about their experience talking about the **birds & bees** with their six or seven year old and another guy chimed in about his experience talking to their eight year old. I told them about the book you refer to and they mentioned another book they both used and really liked too. (I need to fill you in on all the details in this conversation)

I like you and your resolutions.

Rachel Haack said...

Oh my gosh this is the best thing i've ever read: Joan to the core!!! Meaning: you are such a good person, so self aware and constantly striving to improve...i LOVE that about you. And I laugh out loud at how similar i think we are in that department: I am thrown into such disequilibrium when I encounter thoughts different from my own, especially from close peers. Don't get me wrong, I constantly seek differing views and discussions out - I may be hideously intolerant in my weak mind, but I am thoroughly curious and open to hear what others think and usually the first to try to begin an honest conversation. Consequently, when I constantly encounter those with different perspectives (hm! imagine that!) I can wander around for days at a time, mulling it over and over...Tyler has been known to come home to me furiously peeling carrots over the kitchen sink preparing dinner like a mad woman, completely lost in thought.
Eventually, I usually manage to figure things out, and I'm sure we're ALL better for it!

What a fun run that must have been.

You know an Eyre?!! WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS!! Can you please pass the word along: I love them!


rae

Joan said...

You are so much better than anyone else that it is hard to tolerate other people and you being different from most people is genetic. I rarely "get" other people.

eyre blog said...

this is yet another reason I like you joan! We need more joan in our lives over here. please come visit.

Nice shout out for the book. I think i'll get one myself!

The Mrs. said...

Joan-I am a friend of Rae's ( I was directed to your blog through hers) and I feel exactly the same way you do about teaching our kids about SEX.

I do believe we all have to go back to what we really believe and I love this book: And They Were Not Ashamed by Laura M. Brotherson there is even a Forward by Linda and Richard Eyre. And just like the Eyre book there is dialogue you can have with your children at all different ages.

Those books go hand in hand in my opinion.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this subject, but I wont leave a lengthy comment....even though I pretty much already did.

Jamee
xoxo

Danielle said...

Loved this Joan. and you.