Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Eyres & Easter



I know I'm mildly biased considering three of the seven children are mine...but isn't this the most beautiful group of kids you've ever seen!?

We LOVE visitors! And this month we have been spoiled with some of our favorite kind: The Eyres spent the night with us on their way back to SD. We had an Easter themed family home complete with a lesson about the resurrection and what a gift the Savior is to each of us. We threw together a last minute Easter egg hunt for the kids too.

I sometimes think (and think too much, I'm afraid) about silly traditions like Easter egg hunts. Is this just another one of those bizarre traditions that don't mean anything, don't bring me or my children closer to understanding the life of Jesus Christ and his resurrection? I try to take the opportunity to teach my children that Easter eggs aren't all about the candy and money (money?! who puts money in Easter eggs? my husband apparently) but that the eggs are a symbol of life and birth and therefore a reminder to us of Jesus' resurrection. Are my children really listening to me as they anxiously tear through the yard scavenging for as many eggs as their baskets can hold?! Hmmmm, I'm afraid not--but at least I feel like I've tried.
Its not like I want to be a fundamentalist and rob my children of the magic of believing in Santa or enjoying a hunt for eggs filled with treats. It's a fine balance between enjoying a festive, age old tradition and spending time/effort on activities that bring us all closer to the true meaning of any given holiday.

The concept of balance is something that I wrestle with quite regularly. I'm in a constant state of assessing and re-assessing. But in the mean time, I'm thoroughly enjoying the visits from family and friends...Come see us again soon, Eyre family! :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree! That is why a couple of years ago I decided that the easter bunny and all those traditions would be done on Saturday. That way we can really focus on the real meaning of Easter :)
another idea I may start next year... 12 days of easter. the scripture account of his life and death is broken up into 12 sections and then a symbol for each section is used as a visual... we did this in primary and I think the kids responded really well to this :)
but, you are such a good mom that I think your boys will learn through your example regardless of how/when/what traditions are celebrated! :)

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Money... a family tradition. Save the teeth from cavities. We don't do the "Easter bunny" but I let grandma spoil the kids with eggs. And we do something similar to Adriana with the symbols and scriptures. I guess we are the same with Santa... we don't do Santa.

eyre blog said...

Been thinking a lot about this too. Come visit and we'll chat about it.

Rachel Haack said...

No Bias...CUTEST group of children. They look like cousins, you aren't related to the Eyres are you?

Kate said...

this is totally me too! i'm always in a debate as to what to do. i kept it very simple this year with a lot of focus on the Savior. I think I liked it.

Joan said...

I agree that the children are amazing and awesome and everything. You are an amazing woman and mother because you keep refocusing.