Every Tuesday morning Benson runs
into my room squealing with anticipation and excitement. He points his chubby finger toward the window and says, "mmm, mmm." Benson doesn't talk yet (he is turning 2 in November). Besides "Mom, Dad and Uh-oh" he only communicates with little grunts and "mmm's." I don't know any way to really articulate what it sounds like...but anyway, back to his blonde fluffy hair and Fred Flintstones feet pouncing into my room...
Outside the sounds of a heavy engine and squeaking breaks grow closer. It's the garbage truck! Benson runs back down the hallway, grabs the step stool from his bathroom and runs back into my room placing the stool carefully by the large bay window. I smile and encourage the excitement by saying something like, "Oh my! Is that the garbage truck, Loa!? Let mommy help you." (Ps: "Lo-A" is one of Benson's many nicknames).
I then draw the blinds and watch him peek over the window ledge on his tip toes.
Benson has a strange fascination and fear of the garbage trucks that visit our neighborhood every week. For the longest time I would come into his room to find him crying in terror and pointing out his window at the garbage truck.
It has just been the past few months that he has embraced the garbage truck with more fascination than fear. He is such a darling, happy, chubby boy.
He really is my joy.
It's such a blessing to watch him grow.

6 comments:
If you could just figure out a way to keep him like he is!? My favorite day is the day I get to babysit.
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWwwwwwww wittle Bensonboy! Such a darling, that pic is sure to be a major treasure for years to come. Footsie jammies, standing on his tippy toes, ruffled blonde hair: does it get any CUTER?
I totally get why he is your joy. :)
Norah LOVES trash day.. She likes to sit on the porch and watch. Absolutely loves it. And Benson in his jammies... LOVE! Oh, you should get him this book... awesome pictures and the words are great... http://www.google.com/imgres?q=books+on+garbage+trucks&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=738&tbm=isch&tbnid=8qY-2hWMyYwRfM:&imgrefurl=http://blogs.roanoke.com/backcover/category/kids-corner/page/2/&docid=HU7F1xBqZLmtSM&imgurl=http://blogs.roanoke.com/backcover/files/2010/07/i_stink.jpg&w=500&h=409&ei=CG1vUKvgMa7ligKvhICgBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=131&sig=108960166111569391032&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=163&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:82&tx=98&ty=26
Love the Fred Flinstone reference...I could totally hear him running into your room!!! What a little squishy!
what a darling. he's at such a magical age of discovery.
xo
What makes me laugh about this is that Aspen had a huge fear of garbage trucks ... wonder what it is?? At any rate, you make cute boys. Thanks for raising awesome boys that my baby girl can date one day ;)
Post a Comment