I was asked to speak on Christmas Sunday this year at church. And because I can't post pictures I thought I would post the message I shared...so, if you have a few minutes and any interest--take a gander:
Merry Christmas!
Christmas
Message: Children
Introduction:
Mid November I was asked to speak on Christmas
Sunday. On the last Thursday of November, I went to the Temple with Brandon
seeking direction for what exactly the Lord would have me say to you today. I
went unsure of what to expect. I didn’t know what kind of inspiration I would
receive: whether specific direction or simply a feeling of peace.
We
performed sealings that night and finished the evening by spending some quiet,
thoughtful time in the Celestial room. I remember desperately seeking the Lord’s
direction as I sat pondering in that beautiful room. I was overwhelmed by the
Spirit and felt strongly that I should speak of children on this Christmas
Sabbath. It didn’t make sense to me then but I felt at peace and content with
my answer.
Weeks after my experience in the Temple, I learned
of the devastating and horrific events that took the lives of 28 people, 20 of
which were innocent children all aged six and seven in a Connecticut elementary
school.
Let me begin by saying that we can find powerful
peace and hope in the doctrines of the church regarding the death of young
children. Doctrine and Covenants 137:10 states that, “All children who die
before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial
kingdom of heaven.”
President Monson spoke at a funeral service in
1998 regarding the accidental deaths of five little girls by saying, “There is
only one source of true peace. I am certain that the Lord, who notes the fall
of a sparrow, looks with compassion upon those who have been called upon to
part—even temporarily—from their precious children. The gifts of healing and
peace are desperately needed, and Jesus, through his Atonement, has provided them
for one and all.”
In the book of John, the Savior comforts his
Apostles by saying, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as
the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let
it be afraid…I go to prepare a place for you…that where I am ye may be also.”
Children
are the GREATEST in the Kingdom:
In the book of the Matthew, the Apostles approach
the Savior with a question: “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
“The kingdom of heaven” can reference two things: the celestial kingdom OR it can be the church, meaning the church is the kingdom of heaven on earth.
“The kingdom of heaven” can reference two things: the celestial kingdom OR it can be the church, meaning the church is the kingdom of heaven on earth.
The Savior responds to their query as follows,
“Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children,
ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Remember the question: “Who is the GREATEST in the
kingdom of heaven?” Regardless of whether or not he is referencing the church
on the earth or the celestial kingdom, he is calling children the greatest.
He didn’t say that the Prophet is the greatest or
rich people are the greatest or beautiful people or happy people or educated
people. He said CHILDREN are the greatest.
He concludes his answer by saying, “Whosoever
therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in
the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3–4).
So we too as teenagers or young single adults or
young married couples or empty nesters or wherever we are in our realm of
eternal progression have the opportunity to be included with those sweet
children as the greatest in the kingdom of heaven IF we humble ourselves.
I found the following explanation on lds.org: “To
be humble is to recognize gratefully our dependence on the Lord—to understand
that we have constant need for His support. Humility is an acknowledgment that
our talents and abilities are gifts from God. It is not a sign of weakness,
timidity, or fear; it is an indication that we know where our true strength
lies. We can be both humble and fearless. We can be both humble and courageous.”
Now that we know what humility is what does it
mean to have childlike humility and what are the childlike qualities we need to
develop? King Benjamin teaches that we
must put off the natural man and become as a child, submissive, meek, humble,
patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit
to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
James E. Talmage said the following regarding our
need to be like children, “Those who belong to Christ must become like little
children in obedience, truthfulness, trustfulness, purity, humility, and faith.
Children are natural, trusting believers.”
The
Potential of Children:
Consider for a moment a sweet baby (I have three
boys so we’re going to make this theoretical baby a girl): think of her tender
fragility, her soft, sensitive skin and
inability to control her body or hold her head up. Think about how desperately
dependent this little baby is. She is entirely dependent on her mother and
father for her livelihood and care.
This baby cannot feed herself or use words
to communicate. Consider the stages of
development that she passes through: learning to use her hands to pick things
up. Next she masters feeding herself, walking, potty training, putting her
clothes on without help. It is incredible to consider the stages of development
and learning that she passes through from birth to adulthood!
It is interesting to note, that the Savior came to
earth in the form of a baby, completely helpless, weak and frail. He could have
just as easily come to earth as a grown man and accomplished all that he was
sent to do. Yet he was assigned to endure and experience childhood. There was
value in developing from a baby to a full-grown, independent adult.
For
whatever particular reason, it was part of Heavenly Father’s great plan for
Jesus to
come to earth as a baby: innocent, weak, frail, submissive and pure. He
was dependent on Mary and Joseph, his earthly parents to teach him how to walk,
talk and work.
Think of the potential of that little baby born in
a stable. From baby to savior of all mankind in 33 years, is an impressive
progression! While every child does not have the potential of becoming the
savior of mankind, every child does have unlimited potential to fulfill his/her
purpose on earth. Each child is worth every ounce of energy they require, every
family home evening, each tedious moment of teaching and training. Because each
one of those moments builds to create the grandeur of what that child’s future
could be as a father, mother, leader and productive member of society. Our
church fiercely defends the family and by extension: children. Consider the
Proclamation on the family:
“Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to
love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage
of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children
in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs,
and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of
God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers
and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these
obligations.”
It is our responsibility to love and lift children
and provide them all the opportunities they deserve to reach their divine
potential.
Children
and The Spirit of Christ-mas
At Christmas time we have the blessing of remembering
our Savior’s miraculous birth and life.
The spirit of Christmas becomes the spirit of Christ simply by taking
off the last syllable of the word. I often think the spirit of Christmas or
spirit of Christ can be seen more perfectly in the eyes of a child than
anywhere else. The light of Christ burns so brightly in the eyes of children
and it burns especially bright during the Christmas season.
One story, a favorite of mine, perfectly illustrates
the humility of a child and the spirit of Christmas. The story goes as follows:
“For years now whenever Christmas pageants are
talked about in a small Midwestern town someone is sure to mention the name of
Wallace Purling. Wally was nine that year and in the second grade though he
should have been in the fourth. Wally struggled in school and was a tall,
clumsy boy but still he was well liked by the other children.
That year Wally was asked to play the inn keeper
in the town’s Christmas pageant. Wally was chosen because the director believed
Wally’s size would make his refusal to Joseph and Mary more forceful.
The night of the pageant came and Wally was
fascinated with the lights, the music and crowds of people. Then it came time
when Joseph appeared slowly, tenderly guiding Mary to the door of the Inn.
Joseph knocked hard on the wooden door set into the painted backdrop. Wally,
the innkeeper, was there waiting.
“What do you want?” Wally asked, swinging open the door with a brusque gesture.
“What do you want?” Wally asked, swinging open the door with a brusque gesture.
“We seek lodging.” Joseph said.
“Seek it elsewhere! Wally looked straight ahead
but spoke his lines with confidence. “The Inn is filled.”
“Sir, we have asked everywhere in vain. We have
traveled far and are very weary.”
“There is no room for you!” Wally looked properly
stern.
Joseph became desperate and pled, “Please good
innkeeper, my wife, Mary is heavy with child and she needs a place to rest!”
Now for the first time, the innkeeper relaxed his
firm stance and looked down at Mary. With that, there was a long pause, long
enough to make the audience tense with embarrassment.
(WHISPER): “No! Be gone!” The prompter whispered
from the wings.
“No.” Wally repeated automatically. “Be gone.”
Joseph sadly placed his arm around Mary and she
laid her head upon her husband’s shoulder as the two of them started to walk
away. Wally did not return inside the inn however. He stood there in the
doorway, watching the forlorn couple. His brow creased with concern, his eyes
filled with tears. And suddenly this Christmas pageant became very different
from all the rest.
“Don’t go Joseph! Please! Bring Mary back! You can have my room.”
“Don’t go Joseph! Please! Bring Mary back! You can have my room.”
Some people thought the pageant ruined while
others remember it as the most remarkable of all Christmas pageants.
It is touching and tender to think of this child
and how his heart overruled his mind. He did not concern himself with what the
audience would think or how the play director would be disappointed that he did
not repeat the lines he had practiced so many times. All of that faded to
nothing because Wally’s heart burned with compassion, humility and love for
Joseph and Mary and the King that was to be born that night.
Another example of a child’s sweet humility and
love is told by President Monson. He said: Years ago as a young elder, I was
called with others to a hospital in Salt Lake City to provide blessings for
sick children. Upon entering, we noted a Christmas tree with its bright and
friendly lights and saw carefully wrapped packages beneath its outstretched
limbs. We then went through corridors where small boys and girls—some with
plaster casts upon an arm or leg, others with ailments that perhaps could not
be cured so readily—greeted us with smiling faces.
A young, desperately ill small boy called out to
me, “What is your name?”
I told him my name, and he inquired, “Will you
give me a blessing?”
The blessing was provided, and as we turned to
leave his bedside, he said, “Thank you very much.”
We walked a few steps, and then I heard him call,
“Oh, Brother Monson, merry Christmas to you.” Then a great smile flashed across
his countenance.
Conclusion:
My hope and prayer this Christmas for each of us
is to follow the example of children in humility. Let us honor Christ and his
life by more actively seeking to follow the example of little children, to lift
and love them and provide them every opportunity to reach their potential. Let
us remember the fragility and tenderness of the babe whose potential surpassed
all imagination--who grew to become the Savior of all mankind. Let us seek to
be more like Wally who embodies the essence of children in humility and love. Let
us forgive more freely, love more deeply and share of ourselves more
completely.
I know Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of the
world. It is because of him that we all have the greatest gift this Christmas
and every Christmas to come: the gift of his life given to save us all.

3 comments:
I left a heartfelt comment a few days ago.. bummer, it didn't work. I love this talk. I love you. I love children. I would have millions of babies if I could have my way. What a joy and what a blessing. Oh how I love Christmas time and remembering a sweet baby born to a blessed family. My sweet little one reminds me every day of the blessings that we enjoy.
What an outstanding talk Joan! I wish I could have heard you give it. Reading it though was amazing as the Spirit testified of the truths you taught. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that!
We miss you guys and were so happy we got to see you a few weeks ago!
K, I read this weeks ago and am kicking myself as I look again at the comments and realized I didn't articulate my response then! I totally thought I did! I also had coincidentally read it on a Sunday when I had missed church (moving) and was like HOORAY! because you provided some spiritual sustenance!
What a perfect topic and beautifully articulated thoughts. All I kept thinking while reading was how BLESSED are children who have a mom with such perspective and faith! Love you joan!
Post a Comment