Thursday, September 12, 2013

Vent

Every day I run errands: Target, Costco, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, etc. You're familiar.
Wherever I happen to go I am approached multiple times by people who ask the SAME questions, 
"Soooo, do you know what you're having???" Immediately, I brace myself for the their response when I say while smiling, 
"I'm having a boy." I always have one or three of my boys in tow, of course and inevitably I receive one of three reactions:

  1. They laugh. That doesn't seem like a bad reaction, right? Wrong. It is SO annoying. How is that funny? Why is it funny? I'm having a baby! That's a blessing and a gift. I'm thrilled to have a baby REGARDLESS of gender. 
  2. They ask, "So, are you going to try for 'your girl'?" No. I'm not "trying" for anything but a baby! If I have number five (which I hope to) I want a BABY. If I have a girl: wonderful! If I have a boy: equally fantastic! (This is obviously a viable/logical question and I was fine to answer it about 238 times. But by the 239th time it got pretty old and irritating).
  3. A look of pity. You wouldn't believe how many people smile sadly, tilt their head and look at me like, "Oh, you poor soul. You must be cursed otherwise you would be having a daughter."

On the RAREST of occasions I come across the dear, dear individual who responds with, "That is wonderful. I'm thrilled for you." 


One more vent: If I hear one more person ask, 
"You're due soon, right?" or 
"Wow, you must have BIG babies" I may not be able to respond cordially.

(I'm not due until the end of November--just FYI).

News flash people: I have ELEVEN lb. babies!?! So lay off me!
Even if I bore 5 pound babies--let me gain my 50lbs in peace!

Alright that's enough whining.
Pregnant, hyper sensitive, grump signing off ;)





7 comments:

Fawn Becker said...

Oh Joan I feel ya! When I was pregnant with Kora I was asked multiple times if I was having twins. Awesome. People can be soooo stupid.

thebusbyfamily said...

I know you know I can relate! What I tried to keep in mind ("tried" should probably be replace with "failed") is that most people are just having a moment of putting "their foot in their mouth" and hopefully feel really bad later and hopefully learn from their mistake, right? Next time they will avoid you or tell you how great you look and how exciting it is that you are having another handsome boy!

The people that I find it most difficult to even look at, let alone try and be friendly to their face, are the "repeat offenders." You know, the people, friends, neighbors, that approach you every. single. time. they see you and only have things to say that horribly offend and hurt your fragile pregnant feelings. It's THOSE people that I have a hard time shaking off their comments. It's THOSE people that need a high five in the face.

Hang in there my friend!

Rachel Haack said...

haha! Oh my Joan, how I can completely relate on the inverse spectrum!! (wait, did that make sense? Girls.)...people are seriously so bizarre. But as a person who regularly sticks her foot in her mouth in other arenas, I should have compassion... but no. I love that your "rant" is still so Joanie: passionate, but diplomatic and mature. I should really learn from that. I just know there is going to be that day...THAT day when I completely UNLOAD on somebody who says the wrong thing. You'll see it on the front page news: Pregnant woman tells her four children to stand back "cuz Mama's gonna knock a B&*%H..." before hurling herself on a fellow shopper and getting banned permanently from Target.

Hang in there!
You are doing great!

Kate said...

having never been pregnant it totally shocks me that strangers will just ask what you're having!! i've never done that! and then the part about commenting on your size just shocks me! come on people!!! have some tact. sorry about all the dumb things people say! i've had my fair share of dumb things said to me for other reasons.

can't wait to see a picture of your new one!!

Aim said...

Argh!!! SO sorry about people's insensitivity. Sometimes social skills are not people's strong points. On the other hand, you make beautiful boys. I'm so happy for you!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Have lots and lots of babies... and if they are all boys, you can relish in the enormous amount of love they have for their momma! And yes, BIG BIG babies. I know that mine haven't compared (9 pounders...and a 5 pounder too) ... but heck, I was made for child bearing and so were you... Thank heavens!

The Skeehan Family said...

Background: Costco. People milling about, buying various large box items.

Enter Joan Koplin, pushing a cart full of boxes of goodness, surrounded by her brood of darling boys (one of whom now has the most adorable glasses).

Enter Mimi Skeehan, pushing a cart with her chunk-o-love 8 month old in it, along with her gynormica cute daughters at her side (thinking, oooooh man, these girls should hang out with those boys :) )

(Mimi see Joan)...
Mimi: "Oh! Are you expecting?"
Joan: "Yes, I am."
Mimi: "What are you having?"
Joan: (with a huge smile) "A boy!"
Mimi: (with an equally huge smile) "I am THRILLED FOR YOU!"

:)

You.Do.Boys.SO.AWESOME :)