Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Bells Are Ringing...



 Boom. And just like that, it's December and Christmas week! It isn't possible I know, but time seems to speed up with each passing year. Just a short year ago I was cradling a new born and now I'm lucky if he'll hold still long enough to lay his head on my shoulder. My James will be turning ten in a few short months...TEN?! 

I have been contemplating the prospect of another baby. I felt pretty certain we'd have five but I'm not so sure about that any more. I feel like I'm at this point in my career (for lack of a better term) as a mother that I'm enjoying things but often feeling like I've reached my limit. I almost feel like five might throw me over the edge. I'm sure I could handle it (I feel pretty confident that I can handle a lot of hard things) but I also have to consider my husband who feels very done with having babies. So, we shall see. We will leave this in Heavenly Father's hands for now. Both of us feel happy with four. If a fifth is in the cards then it will happen.
Interesting, I didn't intend on talking about having babies/not having babies but that is the beauty of the blog. My mind can wander and my fingers are simply an extension of those wandering thoughts.

Back to my Christmas post...

Oh blessed Christmas! You are such a magical time and yet such a busy, loud, overwhelming, check list filled, sugary, parking lots packed, belly full to the brim, hustle and bustley time. There has been commotion in our home, sure but we've also experienced quiet moments filled with the Spirit and the true meaning of Christmas. We decided to climb a hill in our neighborhood with the boys after we drove around looking at Christmas lights. This hill sits just a few hundred yards from our home. At the top it has a twenty foot lit cross and off to the side a manger silhouette. We parked at the base of the hill and Benson exclaimed with great enthusiasm, "We're going to the Temple to see JESUS!" Oh, it made me giggle and feel happy inside.

A week or so ago James finished reading "The Book of Mormon" for the first time. He snuggled up next to Brandon after he finished the last verse and reveled in his accomplishment (note: his reveling wasn't entirely pure. B told him he would pay him 50 dollars if he finished reading it so he was pretty excited about the cash. Judge us all you want. We motivate our kids with money A LOT and it works).

Brandon told James about a special promise in "The Book of Mormon" found in, "Moroni 10:4." They read the verse together, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal  Father, in the name of Christ, if these are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you. by the power of the Holy Ghost."

After James finished reading the verse out loud he said, "Dad, I feel like I have butterflies in my heart." Brandon asked him how else he felt and James continued by saying, "I feel happy and peaceful."

Brandon then explained to James that what he felt was the Spirit or the Holy Ghost telling him that what he read was in fact true. Moments like this make all the crying, yelling, fighting, complaining, diaper changing, and tantrum throwing SO worth it!



May this Christmas season be a time of love and peace as we contemplate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas!

Love, The Koplins


1 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Beautiful post... I wonder if my teens would do the BOM challenge for $50.... and babies...my heart is with you.