I received a text that cut me right to the heart. It was unexpected and shocking. It was one of those texts that evokes every imaginable emotion (at least all the unpleasant ones). I paced my bedroom ranting and raving to my (poor) husband who tried desperately to speak reason to my emotionally foggy brain. I was crying and yelling and probably cursing (oops) in an attempt to get the ugly feelings out and find a peaceful place to put all my frustrations to rest.
Brandon (bless his heart) failed miserably at consoling me. He just wasn't equipped for such a tantrum--especially one at such a late hour.
I tried for a short time to sleep but couldn't. I was just too upset. I rolled out of bed, took my phone and went outside on the back patio. The moon was bright in the sky and the night was quiet. I texted my Mom, "Are you awake?" One minute later she responded, "Yes."
I called her immediately and poured through the texts, rehashing the situation and all the frustration and sadness that weighed heavy on my heart. She spoke words of love, understanding, empathy and concern. She counseled me, comforted me and brought me off the emotional precipice from which I was standing. She didn't scold me or tell me I was acting silly. She validated my feelings and even complimented me for feeling so deeply and caring so much.
It doesn't matter if I'm 3 or 33 my Mother knows how to love me. She knows my thoughts, my feelings, she knows my concerns, my strengths and my weaknesses. She buoys me up and empowers me. She is a voice of sound reason and boundless wisdom.
She is my Mother.
I love you, Mommy. Thank you for being a beacon of strength and love to me through all my years of life. I'm so glad we chose each other.
Happy Mother's Day.


1 comments:
Wow! That is super powerful...thanks, always, for raw, truthful feelings.
Post a Comment