Oh how I LOVE these great women (oh and Uncle Richard hiding behind Sara too)!
I planned and organized a family reunion with all my aunts, uncles, cousins and their families. It was nothing short of madness trying to find a date and location to accommodate over 40 people. I finally decided on a hotel across from the street in Newport Beach. I'd never been to Newport and had NO idea if the hotel I'd chosen would be accommodating or comfortable. The photos online and a handful of reviews were all I had to go by. I was a little panicked on our way to Newport and said to Brandon, "What have I done?! What if this hotel is awful?! What if all my cousins, Aunts and Uncles drive 10-12 hours for some garbage little hotel in a scary part of town?!"
Thankfully, the weekend was a hit! The hotel was smaller and so we all ran into each other in the hallways and on the stairs. It had a newly remodeled breakfast area where everyone met in the morning and ate together (it was so nice to have that one meal covered for the day). The hotel had chairs, umbrellas and towels for everyone and even though the pool area was tiny it was sufficient for our group. The beach was right across the street and the weather was lovely--a titch cold--but still warm enough for the beach most of the day.
I had treat bags in everyone's room with a thank you note for making the sacrfices necessary to attend the reunion and I planned an Easter egg hunt complete with personalized little baskets for all 21 children. It was a BLAST watching their little hands rake through the sand to find their hidden egg treasures!
Me and my cousin Rebecca. Funny story: I had a boy hug me from behind once when I was in high school (I was in Ashland visiting my dad for the summer where Rebecca grew up). He thought I was Becca and when I turned around he almost peed his pants! It was so funny. I just laughed and told him that people say we look alike all the time.
I am so blessed to feel as close as I do with my cousins. They are more like siblings than cousins. We spent so much of our younger years together that as adults we're all just best friends who know each other perfectly. It brings me SO much joy to be with them. Here is a photo of the entire group minus the Matriarch, Grandma Beaton! She was napping and hadn't quite made it to the beach yet. As you can see it was overcast on and off but the kids didn't mind one bit. They swam in the cold water and rolled in the wet sand hour after hour. It was the ideal setting for such a large group with children from 6 weeks old to 14 years.
This photo of B with Lew gets me right to the heart. This was on Sunday evening at sunset. We explored a beach that we were told had sea life a plenty and lots of big rocks for exploring.
My facial expression says it all.
Meet the Cronut.
Oh myyyyy. The marriage between the croissant and the glazed donut never tasted SO GOOD! It was all I could do to not eat four. I think I seriously ate 3 and felt sick afterward which is saying a lot because my tummy can handle mucho junk food (unfortunately).
And last but surely not least: me and Tay. This guy probably knows more about me than he would like! hahah. He has always been a treasured friend and confidant. I was devastated when, as a child, I found out I couldn't marry him but thankfully he found Anne who is his perfect match! I LOVE Annie!
Thank you Newport for being such a lovely place to reunite my family and make memories together!







0 comments:
Post a Comment