We celebrated the 4th of July the only way one can during an Arizona summer: under our patio, ice cold bev in our hands with the misters blasting while the boys lit off fireworks in the rocks.
It was simple fun but the boys were over the moon about the opportunity to light things on fire and make noise. Nothing says, "Freedom" like forcing your neighbors to endure hours of screaming, cheapy fireworks from Target.
We included the cookie s'more into our 4th of July celebration. Homemade chocolate chip, oatmeal, coconut cookies with an ooey gooey warm marshmallow and chocolate center!? It's worth every last calorie and the tummy ache that inevitably follows.
We took a weekend after the 4th to go visit my Dad and his wife in Dolores. We stopped at the four corners on the way up and decided it was almost not worth the stop. Spending five dollars a person to get in only to wait in line for the cliche four corners photo was hardly worth it but it makes for a cute photo and blog post, I guess?!
We had such a nice time visiting with Dad and Jeanine. The weather was little warmer than expected so we took advantage of fishing in the icy Dolores river, rented a kayak one afternoon, sunbathed on the rocks and dipped in the water when we got too hot. There was the cutest little general store where we bought ice cream one afternoon and walked around a train museum that shared some Dolores history. We perused the farmer's market Saturday morning, munched on fresh baked goodies and hit balls at the driving range.
The icing on the cake is we got to go to church with Grandpa. I can't remember the last time I've sat next to my dad in church. I was probably a baby. Sweet story from that experience: Several lines in to the opening song I noticed my Dad was crying. I thought he was just having a moment but later asked him why he had cried. He said, "Sitting next to you, listening to you sing was like hearing the voice of an angel. It brought me to tears to hear my daughter sing like that." Melt my heart!
We had a memorable time and so appreciate all the preparations that Dad and Jeanine made on our behalf!






0 comments:
Post a Comment