It's been two years since I have taken the time to write an update. I don't feel sad about it because Instagram has taken care of brief updates and photos. Strangely though I miss writing. I don't miss writing the travel log or a quick report about a piano recital or the science fair. I miss allowing my thoughts to spill freely onto the page with the rapid tap of the keyboard. Each word appearing on the page clearing the cobwebs from my mind and allowing me to focus and feel, process and ponder. Giving myself the permission to write without a particular assignment is liberating. So, here I am sitting, thinking. It's as if I'm becoming reacquainted with an old friend.
I remember participating in a writer's workshop at Utah Valley University about 10 years ago. After the conference I spent the next several months writing well over 100 pages of a novel that I felt passionately about. I sacrificed hours of sleep every night so I could sit in the dark and let my fingertips work without distraction. Although unfinished, Brandon decided to print it and even include a fake review from Oprah along with a biography and photo of the author on the inside cover. Maybe some day I will finish it simply for my own satisfaction of having completed the project.
Alas, I hear my boys peeling down the neighborhood on their bikes, wind blowing through their blonde hair, smiling at the prospect of their afternoon of freedom. I delight in listening to their conversations as they empty their backpacks of papers and half eaten lunches. Hopefully I will be back soon to write simply for the sake of writing. Until then...
Monday, February 11, 2019
Therapy
Posted by Joan at 2:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
فني ستائر بالرياض
Post a Comment