August 21, 2008
Dear Reverend Peabody,
I am confused as to why you do not allow The Book of Mormon in your facilities? You personally may not accept the book as scripture but as for those individuals who are a part of your program are they not allowed to worship how they choose? Religious freedom is a Constitutional right and yet you are not allowing that right to those who participate in the Teen Challenge program.
The Mission Statement for your program begins as follows: “To provide youth, adults and families with an effective and comprehensive Christian faith-based solution…” Comprehensive by very definition means, “covering completely or broadly: inclusive.” It sounds to me that your rules are unquestionably exclusive considering the fact that you do not allow certain religious materials in your facility.
The Book of Mormon is scripture that testifies of Christ and his matchless love for all mankind. I plead with you to allow this book within the walls of your facility.
I do not retract my donation but I find it difficult to continue to support a program that does not foster religious freedom.
~Please leave any input on how to make
this letter more effective/cohesive/etc. Thanks.

14 comments:
Joan:
I love you...officially
and your letter is perfect!
You are absolutely amazing....and your letter is very good. I am so glad that your testimony is unwavering, and that you even thought to donate such a priceless book...
I think you should add:
"So put that comprehensive Christian faith in your pipe and smoke it...."
Respectfully,
J.R. Koplin
All jokes aside, I think intolerance/ignorance of any/all religions is UglY. And I applaud you for speaking your mind. Too many people fail to, myself included. Except when I'm sure the Dairy Queen boy hasn't make my chocolate extreme blizzard to its regular standard...then I find a depth of conviction and courage to speak out that I never knew existed.
Remember that?
Lol.
Good job!
RAe
I promise that I will stop tying every conversation back to food in all of my comments with you. I need to post a hot pic like the one you have now on your little comment blog so people stop getting the impression that I must weigh 900 pounds.
rae
the letter is perfect. I always find I can express myself better when I write it out, that way I avoid the awkwardness of being emotional when I try to confront them in person. Good job on this letter. Maybe it will open their eyes to the TRUTH!
i love that you are a "go-getter" meaning: you see something that needs to be done and you do it, rather than wait for somebody else to do it.
that, my friend, is a great quality!
also, the letter is great.
It's beautifully strong and equally honest and fair, Joan:) Number one, good for you for offering them a Book of Mormon in the first place--the greatest offering you could make, really.
I love you, Joan--you inspire me:) you are a great, and valiant spirit and I think you are wonderful.
Way to get fired up girl!
Yes Joan,
Sadly, and happily...my parents are moving. We are sad/excited at the same time. Sad to be leaving our prized house that has been in the fam now for like 40 years...the development around it is just too busy and awful now. It is an awkward fit.
But excited because they are moving to a really neat new place..it's like a 10 acre dude ranch perched up on a hill overlooking the city...you'll love it! Which means you'll have to come visit, I'm sure Jimmie and Max would love a pony ride, eh?
rae
Joan I have no input for you other than I think you did great. Good for you standing up! And you did it so respectfully. Make sure you keep everyone updated on the outcome. And good for you inviting the kids in & donating!
well done, joan. you've such a lovely voice -- it needs to be heard more ('specially for important things like this.)
Hi Joanie :) Read up on Obama....he basically rocks! Anywhoo....ever taken the boys to the Phx Children's Museum?? I have not been but heard it is fun. Want to go??
I just wanted to tell you a little something...I let my friend, who is not a member of our church, but a member of a Christian based faith, and she completely thinks you are amazing. She loved that you have a strong enough faith in Christ to stand up for injustice. Anyways, you have support from all over....love ya and miss you tons. A little box is coming for the babes next week...
Rock on, Joan. I think it's perf.
Post a Comment