Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Engaged minds, muscles, and imaginations...

I petitioned for free tickets to The Children's Museum of Phoenix and received TEN free tickets! I went with my friend Fawn, her two kids: Kali and Kai, and the boys.

This is a museum that truly inspires by, "engaging the minds, muscles, and imaginations of children and the grown-ups who care about them."--the C.A.M. mantra
We so THOROUGHLY enjoyed ourselves that we are asking Santa (aka: my mom & dad) for a year pass so we can go whenever we want.
There was a room strictly devoted to Rube Goldberg machines. It was called the ball room which was fitting b/c every contraption used a ball and some form of complicated, creative contraption (wow, that is alliteration at it's finest, my friends).
Sadly, I did not get a picture of this one.

Tactile little creations at every corner in this museum. Max always found a treasure just his height.I had to drag Jimmie away from this station. The basin was filled with dried beans and rice and the kids could weigh it and pour it into little filter/funnel toys.
Hard at work painting the house blue.
ps: the lady in the background had amazing legs...I bet she spends hours a day at the gym.
The kids were giddy about this little paper mache (sp?) house. Jimmie loves to work with his Daddy--so painting the house blue was a project right up his alley.
The ice cream stand: foam balls, cones, and a little imagination.

I encourage you to find secret treasures like this museum in your area...and let your creative, inventive juices flow!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard that it is really amazing for kids our age!
I love jimmy's face as he is concentrating. I just want to reach over and kiss the top of his head :D

How did you petition free tickets?

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

So much fun! And what a great idea, to get a year pass....That is so much fun...Wish I could be there to snuggle the boys....Oh, Jared has consented, and is now practically begging...So, maybe soon? (I'm referring to your previous visit, and his completely negative feelings about #5).

Danielle said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! What a good mom you are Joan. That painting thing looks so cool.

shannon said...

I miss you! I need my Joan "fix"
When are you coming?!?!?!?!?!
Soon? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!
We have a Discovery Gateway pass you can come with us to. ;) (seriously, it's for 4)
Come join me!!!

eyre blog said...

I just want yesterday to the childrens museum here and got a year pass! The guy called me about 10 minutes after i left and said ma'am you left your visa card on our counter, please come get it. Ha ha, story of my life it seems.
Your museum looks SO SO SO much better though. Man-o man!

eyre blog said...

I feel like i've been ripped off seeing these pictures! But really it pays for itself after 10 visits and the bloody winters here are so cold that I felt like I had to get a pass for my sanity!

eyre blog said...

I keep thinking of more I want to say so you get a million comments from me today! Are you guys moving?

thebusbyfamily said...

I have been wanting to go since it opened this summer! maybe we will check it out next week! thanks for a review!

Aim said...

I'm with Jimmy, I loved the beans and rice, very cool! Looks like fun. And we didn't buy a new car, Thomas got a truck with his new job, yea!

The Skeehan Family said...

I'm loving that you guys went! My cousin was just telling me about it and how awesome it is even for kids Claire's age... obviously proven by how happy Max looks... definitely am going to have to hop on that bandwagon!

sara said...

Very cute pictures, but you're leaving out a vital detail and that is HOW did you get the free tickets??

Melanie said...

Hey Joan,
this is Melanie. How is it going in PHX. I´m still here in Vreden, its raining right now and I´m sitting in my workshop at home. Daniel is in the livingroom, looking soccer.
So what´s going on in PhX?
We are going to build a house here in that lovely big town called Vreden!!!
I think we´ll start this month. There are so many thinks to do, before we can start. But I hope we´ll be ready next summer.
Marion, a friend of my, is going to Uganda today. She want to stay there for one year. That is very exciting for all of us.

Good night,
Melanie
:) :) :)

PS: this picture of me is made in front of Stroetmann, a little pub here, and the camel needed a new pair of shoes (for each foot one), I´m NOT kidding !!!! The shop next to stroetmann is a famous shoemaker (Wessels), he makes shoes for large people all over the world or for camels

Anonymous said...

THAT looks like good, educational fun. I wish we could take our kids to the museums together. we miss you. nate went on and on about how awesome and wonderful you are after his trip to phoenix. all i could do was nod and agree. :)

Anonymous said...

How did you petition & get free tickets!?? You need to come here & visit because we have a pretty awesome Magic House for kids that might rival your Children's Museum.