Monday, November 24, 2008

ATTACK

My nemesis visited me today...him and all his squirming, putrid friends. His name, you ask? MAGGOT. Add an "s" to that repulsive word and now you know who I found all over my kitchen floor this morning (the day of my birth) in and around my garbage can. Happy Birthday to me.
Yeah, not so much.
I danced around arms flailing, squealing like a school girl...behavior that my boys are not familiar with in the least. In fact, they both looked at me like, "Mother, how on earth could you be scared of a little larvae the size of a grain of rice?!
Let me give you a little background as to why Mr. Maggot and I are not friends...although I think it's safe to say he doesn't have many friends:
About a year or so ago my Mom gave me two grocery bags. One had some frozen pork chops and the other had a 72 hour kit. Me being the flighty girl I am threw both bags in the storage closet (ie: Jimmie's bathroom closet) forgetting all about the pork chops.
ONE MONTH LATER!!! I noticed a strange amount of what I thought were fruit flies buzzing around our house...especially in Jimmie's bathroom!? To my horror and dreadful disgust I opened Jimmie's bathroom closet and baby flies swarmed out in my face. I found the maggot massacred pork chops buried underneath some blankets with other food storage items. There were more maggots than you can fathom...squirming little white bodies in the bloody carpet mess of meat! ACKKK! I am SICK recalling the scene.
So, needless to say I spent my morning sweeping and bleaching and washing--literally scouring my tile for hours.
The day did entirely redeem itself when sweetheart Melissa stopped by with a gift card to get a pedicure and offered to take Jimmie while I had lunch with my darling friend Karyn (who also spoiled me with gifts).
Later in the day, Dyonne and her girls brought me dinner, my Visiting Teachers brought me flowers and an AMC gift card, and the list goes on...


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

Ps: check out "Blue Foundation" (the music playing right now on my playlist). Very "Enya" meets "Dido."

11 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Happy, happy birthday Joanie dear...happy days will come to you all year!

We love and miss you! I'm glad you had a...great day excluding the creepy crawlers....Love ya!

Unknown said...

ohhh, I am so sorry that your b-day morning had to start out so awful!!!! Wasn't B there to help you? That's just one of those messes that you wish you could pawn on somebody else!

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear it ended better than it started :D

sara said...

Eww... I was just telling Jamie a "maggot story" the other day (a time when I had about 20-30 in the kitchen and although I killed most of them, several hid themselves in the cracks of the baseboards & carpet and emerged as flies a few days later... sicko.

But -- happy birthday! That is such a very pretty cake picture.

Fawn Becker said...

Oh wow that was quite a birthday morning, but I am glad to hear that it turned out to be a nice day :)

Lauren F. said...

This was not a good blog to read while eating lunch. DIS-GUST-ING!

But Happy Birthday to you anyway.

I am going to send Brandon our address via Facebook. I can't find you on there.

Marie Lefler said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday. And YUCK! I think I would have had the same reaction as you, possibly even worse. Hopefully they won't visit you again.

Rachel Haack said...

I HAVE THE CREEPY CRAWLING SMACK EVERY INCH OF MY BODY BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE IT'S CRAWLING WITH BUGS FEELING!!

Seriously, shivers and all with that story. I don't know if I could even SURVIVE such a situation. If flowers are the proof of the beautiful nature of God - maggots are the counter production as the spawn of Satan.

On a brighter note - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Well, Happy Late Birthday!!! I hope you ate cake as delicious as that pic you posted.

rae


ps. and thank you, thank you, thank you for your sweet comment on my blog -made me wanna cry! I miss you too!

Anonymous said...

OOO I like Blue Foundation. I even risked waking Taj up to listen to it & I was not let down.
Happy Birthday! That cake is amazing. I want to have one just to look at all the time.
I had the same thing happen to me in our apartment in HI. Something in the trash produced maggots & I woke up one morning to a trail of them all around the house!!! The MOST disgusting thing! They are so gross. Even worse when a couple weeks later the ones we didn't see turned into tons of flies around our house. Sick! SO I feel for you.
And you have no idea how sweet your comment on my blog was because I am FAR past the stage of even attempting to think of feeling cute. So thanks, thanks, thanks!

thebusbyfamily said...

you never told me thE other story! that had to smell nasty! I bet that one was much harder to clean than your kitchen floor!

YUCK!!

happy turkey day to you and your cute family!

LilMisfit said...

I am sorry that I am a little late in saying

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I hope your day was great, despite your little kitchen mess!

I just had my very own first maggot experience. Brooklyn was feeding the dogs and their food is kept in the garage. She came in after scooping it up and said, "Mom, Colt has some kind of little worms in his food." I was so horrified! Thanks for making me feel better -- like we are not some dirty, disgusting people. Maggots just happen!

Bryan and Rebekah said...

I am so proud of your shopping abilities/techniques you have learned. The little suits are cute! Give the little frog and peepod a big love from their grandma! I am trying to get a trip to see them real soon! We miss you guys and love you so much.xoxoxo Sues