Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight Movie Review

First, I have a confession to make: I am a total sell-out, hypocrite, & traitor to my friends. I told them all I refused to deal with the crowds, lines, and squealing prepubescent teenagers on Twilight's opening night showing at midnight and thus we all planned to go Saturday morning at 10:45. Last minute, I lost all my scruples and bought two tickets for me and my cohort--Jessica. We arrived at the theater at 10:45, walked right in and found decent seats. There were four theaters filled with psycho "Twilighters" (the official term for the Twilight fan) some of whom were at the theater waiting in line by 5:45pm (the reason I know is b/c I went in and talked to a few when I went at 6pm to buy my tickets).
Alright, so now that my sins are out on the table...I will proceed to share my personal movie review of Twilight.
It was a bit of an ethereal experience to be sitting, waiting only minutes for the film to begin. A movie that I have been anxiously waiting to see for months now: watching trailers and interviews, reading magazine articles and website postings about the film. I'll admit I have been following closely...I'm sorry if you have all lost respect for me :) haha. It's like "Titanic" all over again!
Overall, Twilight was well done. It moved too quickly through crucial portions of the plot but I think that is inevitable with any film attempting to condense a novel into a two hour movie. In terms of acting I was impressed with the key players: I have zero complaints about Kristen Stewart (Bella Swan). This girl was made to be an actress. Sincerely. She is SO natural on screen. She is redeeming Bella's character for me b/c in the books she definitely got under my skin.
Robert Pattinson struggled a bit here and there in the movie especially during times when he needed to be evil/dangerous. The romantic/dramatic elements though he had down and the chemistry between him and Kristen is undeniable. Ultimately, I was happy with his character in the movie and his performance over-all. He is devastatingly handsome despite all his critics who claim he just isn't big enough or good looking enough.
The Cullen Family were all well cast. Jasper was the only one that rubbed me the wrong way. He was too sullen and serious. I don't think the entire Cullen family combined had more than thirty lines though b/c Bella and Edward consumed most of the film.
I give the score of the film 4 out of 5 stars. There was a part that had a harpsichord playing at a key point in the movie and it was a bit too "old fashioned horror story" sounding. Other than that the music was well placed and fitting. I included one of my favorites from the soundtrack (ps: totally want that for my birthday--hint to the hubby) on my play list as well as a few songs from Robert Pattinson.
The "scene of sensuality" mentioned in the details for rating scared me. I kept thinking of all my little 12 and 13 year old girls from church among many others that were going to see this movie. I have to say that, all things considered, the scene was tasteful (according to Hollywood standards, anyway). I was hugely impressed (and relieved) with how mild the film was in terms of language, sex, and violence.

OVER-ALL RATING: 4.5 stars out of 5.

10 comments:

K said...

Ok I am SO ETERNALLY JEALOUS!!!!!

How awesome that you saw it opening night!! YAY!! I'm even more excited for it now knowing that you (let's be honest, you're the critic I trust the most) really liked it!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Anonymous said...

I heard its like a 2 hour Dawsons Creek episode...is that true? Good review, I miss you.
B

Aim said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe you went! You are too funny. So, I haven't been like overly excited to see it, but I kind of am now. Your review has totally intrigued me. I'll let you know what I think!
Oh and PS I love that you have decorated early for Chritmas. I am so done with fall and I think I am going to start spreading Christmas around the house next week. I'm sure my little Grinch will be into everything too. :)

thebusbyfamily said...

dude. you are a sell-out. i hope you are REALLY tired today.






ps by the time you read this i will have already forgotton about it. are you still in for saturday morning??

Kate said...

You must have been really tired or something... :) It was a horrible movie!!! Don't be mad... but my friends and I (5 of us) went at midnight... and seriously, we all thought it was super cheesy, bad script, and not so great acting. I did like Bella. And I actually loved Jasper. And how about Stephenie Meyer's cameo?
I'm glad you loved it, but not me. I DO NOT recommend it! Big disappointment!
Can we still be friends?? :)

Fawn Becker said...

I think the two stars of the movie are highly unattractive & I have not read the book so I don't have clue about it but I liked your review, you should write reviews for the newspaper.

Bryan and Rebekah said...

i'd have to agree with your friend kate. bella and edward were terrible actors. i felt zero chemistry between the two of them. i went with my young woman friday night and i think 75% of us were utterly disappointed. i did like the rest of the cullen family. sorry!

Unknown said...

ok, so after I read your post, I got kind of excited... but then I went and several people, including me, were laughing when we weren't supposed to! Damond thought Bella was awful, but I think part of that was that he didn't know her character... so part of the horribleness was the script given to them :(
I think if the movie had come out before the end of the series it might have had a better chance- peoples imagination just can't be beat :)
but I would have to agree about Japser :( huh? total nerd!
sorry, Damond didn't really want to hash it out, so I had to vent somewhere :D
but, I will go see the next one :)so that has to give it a couple of stars :)

Rachel Haack said...

OH MY FREAKING LANTA. LOVE LOVE LOVED IT. And here is the weirdest part, I hadn't read the books! Talk about a traitor!
My reasons were:

A. I'm not into fiction all that much. And vampires sounded totally sci-fi to me, which is about the WORST genre of all - in my opinion.

B. We were limited on movie selections, and I thought I'd give it a whirl.

C. I HATE it when movies don't live up to books I've read. I always have a picture in my mind of what the characters will look like and am usually disappointed when it plays out on screen. So, I figured I'd watch it first, and read it second if I liked it

...and let me tell you:

I. LOVED. IT. Tyler and I are now getting the books (yes, even tyler thought it was "cool"). Vampires! Forbidden love! Danger!
Talk about pale as the new sexy!!!!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Consider me a new Twilighter. There's going to be a sequel, right?

And I LOVED the soundtrack too.


rae

shannon said...

I still haven't decided if I liked it or not.
Suprisingliy, I liked the guy cast to play Edward.
Hated Jasper and Dr. Cullens took me a bit to get used to.
I had some laugh out loud moments that no one else in the theather cared to share with me.
And I hated Jacob. NOT what I pictured at ALL. (I thought Jacob was supposed to be tall and big? hmm.)
Ok, that's enough from me.