A few nights ago Jimmie and I snuggled in his bed to read a few bedtime stories. One of the books we chose is a photographic collection of animals (thanks, Anne & Tay--huge fan of Priddy books b/c of you guys):We happened upon a gorilla and Jimmie pointed to his/her "breasts" and said, "Look Mom! He has booboos like you!"
First thought: "OMGosh, call the plastic surgeon! I knew my boobs were looking haggard, but WOW! Do they really look THAT bad?!"
They don't at this point but after 5, 6, 7 kids (depending on how crazy I am) they aren't going to be far off from Mr. Gorilla here:So, with that being said, share your thoughts on breast implants, lifts, etc. Any form of plastic surgery is up for discussion, really.
I go back and forth on it. Some months I think, "You know, by the time I'm 40 ish and feeling like I need a little 'lift' (no pun intended) in the vanity dept. who really cares, right? I mean, I'm just restoring them to what they once were before I nursed all my kids (keep in mind I nurse my babies until they are 18 months +/- so my ta-tas have a few miles on them already and I've only had two kids).
Other times I think, "What a silly, ridiculous waste of money and energy!? Why would some one go out and pay 5-8 thousand bucks (I've heard that's about how much a decent lift & augmentation costs...not that I've had a consultation myself or anything--although I do know that if I were to do anything to my 'booboos' I would have to have both procedures done--that's another story entirely) to be cut open?! Give the money to charity or something, for heaven sake!"
I've heard some women say that their boobs are their trophies after nursing their babes. Nope, sorry...not me. I will NEVER call my sad, saggy boobs trophies. EVER!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Mrs. Gorilla?!
Posted by Joan at 3:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
TMI!!! But so true. I go back and forth as well. I think that I shouldn't be so vain and do something about my sad looking ladies, but I also don't feel sexy anymore and I won't be caught dead without a bra. I am even addicted to a sleeping bra. I don't like my "utters" touching.
So I would really like the surgery, but it is way too expensive. I always have dreams where I make friends with a really lonesome old lady and she turns out to be disgustingly rich and when she dies she leaves me all of her money, because all of her kids are terrible to her. right?
Ok, so that would never happen, but it makes for fun dreams sometimes.
So I am like you, I am on the fence on this subject. For now I will just invest in a decent bra and hope for the best.
I think that in general that people should totally do plastic surgery if it makes them feel better. Obviously it is a very personal choice, but the way I look at it, some people were born with things about their bodies that are really great, and some were not, so why shouldn't everyone be able to choose how they look...I mean to a certain degree. Obviously their are limitations.
As far as boobs go, after nursing a baby, I can totally understand why women get boob jobs now. For me, I don't think the trade off would be worth going under the knife for...but ask me after three more kids. We'll see then;) really I just wish mine were smaller.
i wrote a comment for this post earlier and apparently forgot to publish it. i think i need a brain implant!
anyway, i think plastic surgery is a very personal thing, so i sort of say to each his/her own as far as whether or not to have a procedure done. i do think a really obvious (ie HUGE) boob job is tacky, but other than that...whatever.
(time out: norah's sunrise just came on as i'm typing this -- it is most lovely. thank you for your awesome music selections!)
anyway...as for me personally, i really don't think i'd ever do it. i like my boobs best when they're little (though the saggy part is a slightly unsettling).
No fence sitting for me. I can't WAIT for the day when I'm done breastfeeding babies and can stop tucking my the sagging, fatty feeling skin remnants of once plump boobies back into my bra!
I find it funny that people have issues with this topic, really. I completely agree with Emily Anne that big, fat Pam Anderson boobs are ridiculous and trash city. But restoration to something decent...something appropriate...and yes, something sexually appealing for both you and your husband is wonderful!
You don't hear these same sorts of conversations about braces...and yet they really are the same thing (I realize there are knives involved with breasts, but breast augmentations are now extremely safe, yada yada yada). You never hear anyone arguing that straightening your teeth is vain and superfluous. BOTH are examples of restoring your natural self to something more pleasing. The breasts just have a sexual element that people get freaky about. And I'm not advocating showing your new chas chas off for the world to see...no no no. But perky underneath appropriate clothing, what is wrong with that?
My gift to myself after my hopefully MANY breastfed children will be to get those puppies back!
rae
oh yeah,
The story leading up to this discussion is PRICELESS AND HILARIOUS. I can't get over the gorilla boob pic, I'm seriously laughing so hard right now!
Ahhh, the things we do for our children.
I agree with pretty much everyone else that plastic surgery is a personal decision. Obviously, there are people who go overboard. I'm not looking forward to the state of my boobs once I'm done breastfeeding. I already miss the way they use to be.
This post made me laugh. I love how open and honest you are, it's a breath of fresh air compared to most "bloggers." I am TOTALLY for a little nip/tuck. I think women go through so much to have children that why shouldn't they be able to put their bodies back together. I for one will do whatever takes to get a pre-baby body back after I have children.
Having said that, I would say that you can end up looking incredibly fake with too much surgery. So, if you consider surgery, make sure to keep yourself natural looking. Plastic surgery can be really emotional and if you make too drastic of a change it could just be a disappointment.
Ha ha ha!! You make me laugh Joan. We have the same book and Christian loves it. I'm not looking forward to Christian pointins this out to me either...as for getting a boob job, um not so much. I just don't think I would ever get one.
Love the forum...Somehow I missed this "I have a Question" in the New Era - glad you brought it to light!
I've nursed 8 children, all a minimum of 1 year - the most 20 months. Preventive maintenance is my first line of defense with the hope of stalling the choice of a lift and augmentation. I have worn a good underwire bra while sleeping, nursing, waking, etc, for almost my entire married life -28 years, but of course not always:>
Mine look pretty good considering I'm 48 and have that much mileage and am a size 36C not nursing. This info is strictly to make a case for a good bra, not to brag, besides who knows how genetics play into all this - although my mom had some pretty scary ones and she never nursed! (I can't believe I have just shared all this info with the blogasphere! Sorry kids).
I am not against surgery, but picking the right doc and implants is key. We play a terribly cruel game in the summer at the water park called "fake or real"("take a look at those fake ones at 4 o'clock" Yikes!
I have a friend who has "saline" implants and they look much more natural and supple and if they were to have a leak, saline is a natural substance for our bodies to absorb, unlike silicone.
I think silicone implants look too much like softballs and they are too hard when you hug the person.
Also, how will "perky" ones look on a 80 year old body? I think a certain amount of "droop" not excessive sag, is more natural just as a certain amount of laugh lines rather than no expression with too much botox or colagen injections.
Balance is the key I guess for our appearance: not too fake or not taken care of at all.
Now that I am pushing 50, the question is how to age gracefully and appropriately...something I'm still trying to discover for myself.
You are wonderful, young, and sexy - you will know what to do when the time comes because you take life straight on with no guile.
Love you so much.
Alexis
P.S. If and when you are ready look up Dr. Rey...(shh, I have a crush on him from Dr. 90210 - which I don't watch anymore:> We have been T.V. free for over a year!!! Dr. Rey seems to have perfected the natural look:)
I am sitting here laughing quitely to myself as I read all these comments. What a funny, laughable topic that is seriously a reality. There are some women in my family where I wonder if some augmentation or reduction of some sort has has occured and I think they've dealt with it tactfully. I know, for myself, when I feel attractive and sexy, my confidence is seriously boosted and I am able to be a better wife, mother, etc. I think it's the extreme makeovers that are known for stealing the genuine beauty that makes us who we individually are. And who says anyone has to know? I think what bothers me is the whisperings I've heard, such as giving a boob job as a graduation gift. That's when I think the technology takes a nasty turn. Anyway, I'm sure I could go on and on...it's a great topic to debate.
Love you, Joanie:)
It sounds really Vain, but I say if you really want it. go for it. I have many friends and family members that have gone through it and not one of them regret it. I fully intend on getting a "mommy makeover" once I am done having children. There are a lot of other things I could do with the money, but I work really hard for it, and I should be able to do something for myself. Moms always put themselves last its one thing that you can do for yourself. too bad it costs so much though. I better start saving now.
Well Joan,
You remember when we were visiting you in Phoenix a couple months ago and (of course you remember, it was probably one of the worst weeks of your life) you and Kimberlee were talking and the subject of boobs came up? Well, you have my attention again.
Boobs....what else need I say? What a great, and always appropriate, subject! As an unabashed boob man, I consider myself to be somewhat of an authority on this subject. I could make this post all funny, and I might, but I actually am coming into this with the desire to give you a man, father, and husband's point of view. You see, Brandon has no choice but to tell you how incredibly sexy you are, regardless of gravity. I, on the other hand, can say whatever I want. So you know that when I say, "you are incredibly sexy," that I mean it.
As for your booboos, and anyone else's for that matter, this has become a real concern for so many women. I mean lets face it, regardless of what kind of life you lead, you will see seemingly perfect breasts everywhere you look. In the supermarket checkout lane, heck the supermarket checker just might be sporting a pair herself. They are on TV, in movies, at the city park and everywhere else. So, while it is hard for a guy to keep his eyes in their sockets at times, it is, I am sure, equally hard for a beautiful and once younger and childless woman to see what she has in her bedroom mirror as something other than "unattractive."
Let me try to express how I really feel. This is coming from a man who has been married to two very differently built women and has "experienced the goods" both pre and post motherhood and nursing. For a woman, it is all about appearance. For a man, or at least for me, it is about both appearance and all of the other senses. So, while my unbelievably beautiful wife may not be stacked and gravity-defying like Pamela, she is built in such a way that I can and do very much enjoy her precious assets. They are beautiful and oh so much fun, and they perform their tasks quite admirably.
That being said, the subject of an augmentation has come up on several occasions. Kimberlee, like most of your friends who have already commented, has some serious issues with how her "puppies" droop into her armpits when she lies down. So, we have discussed it, and this puts a husband in an interesting position. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kinda thing. But I told her exactly what I am gonna tell you.
And here it is, word for word..."I just really wish I could test drive some fake ones first, baby." I mean, this is how I feel. I love what she has, I enjoy them on a very regular basis, and the feel of "real" is so amazingly wonderful and made by our creator, not just for nursing babies but for arousing husbands as well. "So, what if implants, just aren't as good? Sure, if done right, they can LOOK amazing, but do they FEEL amazing?"
Yep, that's what I told her. So, really, it is up to her. Sure $5,000+ is a lot of cash, but it is simply not a money issue for me. That would just determine the timing. The issue is simply this. Does my beautiful, sexy wife, FEEL as beautiful and sexy as she really is? If she doesn't and some surgery will help change that, then it is a small price to pay. And although my practical side says, "she can't get that feeling from new boobs," the realistic side of me says, "oh, actually I am quite sure she can."
So, Joanie, there you have it. A husbands point of view from a man who loves his wife as much as Brandon love you.
Jimmie's hilarious. I have not seen them, but I'm pretty sure your boobs are not in the same condition as the gorillas.
Okay, I'm just kind of rambling here, but I think plastic surgery is a personal thing, but the way I feel about it, the reason for it is the important part. I would be all for supporting someone using their money for a reduction if they wanted one, so why shouldn't I feel it's okay for someone to use the money for implants. Their both about feeling better about themselves. I wish they could do love themselves without surgery, but if it brings them peace then go for it. That said though,if they want obnoxiously large boobs for the sake of attention, I'm not so into that.
Jimmy is so funny! Just wait tell you get my age...those look pretty good! lol xox Mom aka Sue
ok- so I have to throw in my tid-bit especially after reading Mr. St. Clair's comment :)
I have heard that their is not as much "feeling" with fake boobs :( so that would seem to be a very sad thing for you and your hubby...
I don't agree with all these "it will bring peace, it will make me feel better... on and on." Because more than likely the Victoria Secret models will continue to look better since they have air brushing, it's their job not to eat and work out :)
Totally a personal thing, but generally speaking most boob job ladies seem real fake to me, meaning I don't think they are as happy as they thought their boobs would make them.
Use that money to go do a service trip with your husband- that would bring more happiness and peace :)
(but I think you already knew what I thought) :D
Thomas has never mentioned boobs: I think Jimmy would really keep my one my toes :D funny guy!
you know where i stand on the subject!
love this tori amos song :)
Seriously, can I just tell you how much I LOVVVVVVVVVE your blog??
I will honestly say prior to Claire I had never really thought much about it, but when nursing gave me boobs and then post-nursing took any boob I had away (SERIOUSLY, I'm B.A.R.E.L.Y. an A!) and seeing how sad my husband became (never knowing he was a boob man before, of course, since I didn't have much pre-Claire either!), I just think post-babies, I might :)
Wow, that is one SUPER long run-on sentence.
Love you.
Post a Comment