Friday, October 9, 2009

Hanging SpoOooKy Spiders

I love hanging things from my ceiling in this one particular place in my home. Last year I hung glittered ornaments with pretty ribbon but I wanted to come up with an idea for Halloween too.
I first thought of hanging black styrofoam balls with green glitter but then my sister, Nikki suggested I put pipe cleaner in them and make them spiders.


Here's how to make them:


1. This is what you need to make your spiders (the only thing not pictured are skewers).
Btw: The spiders cost less than four dollars each. The total project for five spiders was $18.


2. Paint the styrofoam ball black--this one has one coat...you need two.


3. Use skewer to hold ball while still wet with paint and sprinkle glitter.

(accidentally deleted this pic from the camera).


4. Poke skewer into ball where you want the spider legs to go.


5. Bend pipe cleaner as desired and place into pre-poked holes.


6. Cut the necessary ribbon (I used a shiny black ribbon and placed green rick rack over top to add dimension and color). Push black balled pin into the top of the ball with ribbon attached.
Gosh, am I dumbing this down too much or what?!


7. This is what it looks like close up


8. AND far away with the whole spider family!


Oh...and I thought I'd include my paper pennant (Anne, I'm obsessed with pennants now, thanks to you:)

HaPpY Halloween Crafting to you!

5 comments:

Fawn Becker said...

Cute spiders! I love the Koplin sign above your mantle...where did you get that??

Danielle said...

Joan I love it! Any excuse to use glitter!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Super cute...so much fun. Will you come decorate my house and yard now? I'm so lacking in motivation....

Rachel Haack said...

LOVE it, and am a total believer that there is no better month than October to get ridiculously crafty!

And of course Nikki suggested that idea, of course.

Miss you and wish we could visit each other's little Halloween decorated home.

Rae

K said...

What an adorable pennant!!! I love the pennants! I totally have to make one now!! And the spiders are just too darling:)