Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Twi-Tuesdays: Edward vs. Jacob

In honor of New Moon's release into theaters this month (17 days and counting) I am going to devote a post every Tuesday to a topic relating to The Twilight Saga. Here is the first installment of "Twi-Tuesdays."


Today's topic is centered around the love triangle that is formed among Edward, Bella, and Jacob in New Moon. My question is who do you think is more appropriately suited (aka: the best long term choice) for Bella? Edward or Jacob & why? (we've already had this discussion, Aim--and I've since changed my opinion :)

Edward: The Vampire. Dark, brooding, tormented, intelligent, thoughtful, protective, possessive, and devoted. Edward is deeply attracted to Bella's scent and therefore interested in drinking her blood, which is, to say the least, a problem. Additionally, Edward doesn't ever fit in with human people and therefore things tend to be constantly awkward for Bella. She has to lie to her Mom and Dad regularly about her life: where and what she is doing etc. Ultimately, in order to comfortably coexist (not to mention attempt any semi "normal" relationship with him) Bella must become a vampire herself and completely break all ties to family and friends.
Edward is undoubtedly the less pragmatic choice. And yet, the archetypal teen aged girl, Bella is irrefutably in-love with Edward. She is attracted to his enigmatic behavior and confused by how he is seemingly repulsed by her, at least at the beginning. Her love for him seems erratic and initially (while reading Twilight) I felt like it was invalid. Her love for him does not make any logical sense--but does logic always coincide with love? I think we all know the answer to that.

Jacob: The Werewolf. Best friend, loyal, doting, appreciative, adventurous, happy, playful, kind, courageous, protective, and hot headed. Jacob has a problem controlling his temper. When he is provoked or angry he changes or "phases" into a werewolf, which could cause him to inflict harm on Bella.
Although, Jacob's "condition" is dangerous and unusual it seems to be less pervasive in comparison to Edward's. Jacob lives a fairly normal life. He is closely connected to family and friends and is not forced, by his lifestyle, to be a recluse like Edward. Unfortunately, Bella is not romantically interested in Jacob, at least she doesn't think she is. Her attraction to Jacob is more a respect and admiration than it is a romantic appeal. She does care for him deeply, though and loves to spend time with him. The icing on the cake is that Bella's dad is best buddies with Jacob's dad and unreservedly fights for "Team Jacob."

Logically speaking, I think Jacob is by far the better choice for Bella. Deep, abiding love can be formed from friendship and mutual admiration. It may not be instantly gratifying or exciting or dangerous but in the long term it can be richly satisfying and meaningful.
This is of course a book/movie series and so none of this particularly matters. As a reader/movie go-er we care about suspense, action, and the timelessness of forbidden love.

With that being said, who would you choose?
Edward OR Jacob?

For a good laugh check this out.
ps: this song by Anya Marina is on the NM soundtrack.
Pics were taken from various sites off Google images.

9 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Hmmmm....which team. Well, honestly, I think happiness is what you make it. So, I am split. I could definitely argue the virtues on either side of the fence. But, I am very convinced that, although a little creepy, the last book gives me a wonderful sense of completion for all characters involved.

Joan said...

Kim, yes I agree. The last book does wrap things up well...a little too perfectly for me, actually. I would have preferred something to be left undone...but not cleaned up so perfectly. Everything was too easy almost. Nothing was sacrificed or lost. I love happy endings but it was a bit too happy for me. Does that make sense?
And I too feel the split...my heart is for Edward but my mind is for Jacob.

Kate said...

I read the books once, way back when they were new... but I'm definitely not really into Twilight... I can't even remember the story very well. HOWEVER, I do remember that I was always rooting for Jacob. Go Team Jacob. :)

Lauren F. said...

I think New Moon clearly demonstrates that the passion and love between Edward and Bella is so deep that neither can "live" without the other. To have that kind of relationship is rare and shouldn't be squandered. So, even though Jacob might be the right choice on paper, if she made that choice she would have sacrificed the deepest kind of love for her "safe" choice. While the series might have been wrapped up too neatly, the premise is still solid.

BRandon said...

Really, is this necessary. I'm creating a blog about Heidi Klum, and pumpkin pies.

B:)

Kristen said...

Joanie,
We both know how I feel about this love triangle! I am still 100% team Edward because, although Bella could eventually grow to love Jacob out of their friendship, there is no getting around the fact that she is COMPLETELY in love with Edward! He's the better choice because he's who she wants bottom line..and they are both dangerous so I wouldn't say one is safer than the other. Jacob is pretty smokin' though!

P.S. I CAN'T WAIT for the premiere!!

Joan said...

Lauren, well put. I agree with you. Logically speaking, Jacob is the better choice but she is intensely connected to Edward in ways she may never be to Jacob regardless of how much he makes sense in the long run.

Brandon, get over it :)

Kristen, TEAM EDWARD! haha. You know that I'm all for Edward too. His love for Bella is other-worldly and magical. I think that's one of the reasons we are so drawn to it.

Aim said...

Ha ha, Joanie, I always knew you were a Jacob fan deep down. Even though the books ended the way they did, I am STILL a Jacob fan. Thank you so much for your comments and compliments on my blog. You seriously make my day! I wish you lived here, I know we would be good friends. And I LOVED the poop story. Let us know if you find it and good luck. Oh and about the F word, Christian likes to say Pinch but it sounds like *itch...hee hee , too funny.

Spencer said...

1) Can I be a contributor to Brandon's blog? 2) I would argue that a 17 year old girl in today's society doesn't even know who she loves or what love is. 3) Arguing the compatibility of fictitional characters is futile as their fates are exclusively and seemingly arbitrarily decided upon by the author. 4) The ending of the series was too happy and an unbelievable let down. I'm happiest when the novels I read have little to no closure. Unhappy endings make for great literature and only the very few like Goldman can manage a satisfactory happy ending. 5) Edward is quite possibly ambiguously gay and Jacob is not, so my vote is Jacob. You never know when Eddie is going to come out of the closet. Then Bella becomes a single vampire mom with at least one extra mouth to feed and she can't exactly move back in with Mom or Dad while she gets back on her feet can she?