Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Recipe You Will Not Regret Trying :)


Soft Molasses Cookies:

Cream together:
½ cup shortening
1 ½ cups margarine
4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup light molasses
Mix together:
8 cups flour
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cloves
3 tablespoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
Mix dry ingredients into creamed ingredients
Roll dough into a ball the size of a walnut. Roll ball in a sugar/cinnamon mixture consisting of 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and ½ cup sugar.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. You know they are done when the cookie forms cracks on top.
While hot, glaze each cookie with glaze below:
Glaze:
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 ¼ to 2 ½ cups powdered sugar (I like it thicker)

This recipe makes about 100 cookies, which I love b/c I tend to freeze the remaining dough and save it for other occasions.
Oh, and I didn't use "light" molasses--I used regular. Also, I did not have cloves so I went without and they turned out just fine.
My friend, Melissa (the cookie extraordinaire) made these with me once and they are TDF! You will not regret making them :) -- I take that back. You might regret making them when you realize you can't stop eating them b/c they are so darn delish!

2 comments:

Emily Anne said...

yummm! i want one right now. thanks for sharing this recipe. it's always fun to have a new cookie recipe.

xoxo, dear friend.

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Ummmm...send some please? They will go well on my hips -- of course, I can always walk them off a little later....I am soooo needing a little snack.