
On the way to take James to preschool this morning I stopped at an all too familiar stop light and noticed a man crossing the street. He was in his late 70's, I would guess, khaki slacks, collared shirt, and pull-over sweater, hair nicely combed and newspaper in hand. I don't know what it was about this elderly gentleman that caused me to feel sad. He wasn't the least bit pathetic looking.
I had this strange urge to stop the car, get out and talk with him, tell him my name and see him smile. I felt like I knew him.
Maybe he reminded me of my Grandpa Jack who passed away ten years ago. I remember watching him take his last breaths of life. That memory is etched deep in my mind. Strange how it was simultaneously painful (for those left living) and yet still peaceful (for him).
I don't particularly know the purpose for this post...just my thoughts of the day. I'm glad to have strong feelings of love and concern for random strangers--as odd as that may sound. I like to think that I have an optimistic view of the world and mankind in general. People are inherently good...I truly believe that. And today, for a small moment I felt the goodness of one person in particular and wanted to be his friend.
Picture taken by: Joaquim Alves Gaspar
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
{Thoughts}
Posted by Joan at 4:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I experience similar things to this often!
That is exactly how I feel. The family that I nannies for last year has their sweet little baby in the hospital and her blog is like wildfire. If you read some of the comments there are just hundreds of people from all around the world praying for them. I love knowing that most people are good. It's hard to remember that.
I love your heart, Joanie. And your depth of soul.
The world needs more Joans.
You are not strange at all, I made a u-turn the other day because some man reminded me so much of my dad (who is alive and well), that I wanted to just get out of the car, give him a hug and try to make him smile because he looked so sad. but of course, I only made another u-turn and waved goodbye as he smiled at me.
you are good joanie, not strange.
I agree that the world needs more Joans too!
I read this a while ago and realized I forgot to comment. I remember having an experience like that, only I was looking at this pitiful homeless man without legs begging at a stop light. I thought so sadly, who didn't love you? How are you here? You were once precious and innocent just like my baby in the carseat, and something happened in the interim between then and now that is so profoundly sad.
Life has those moments, doesn't it?
Post a Comment