Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pillow Talk

This is an unrelated picture--but so cute I had to post it.
Max, James, J.T. and Travis--they just decided to have a costume party one day and I thought, "Sure! Why not?!"


This morning was blissful. It was gray and rainy outside as I nuzzled my face into my soft, feather pillow and before I knew it a sleepy eyed, chubby cheeked five year old came toddling into my room with his own treasured pillow in hand.
I tucked him under the covers next to me and smiled to myself...happy, peaceful...no deadlines, no pressing errands---just time.
After a few moments of silence I asked James if he would scratch my back (having my back scratched is on the tip top of my list of favorite things). He said, "Sure, Mom."
His sweet little boy hands proceeded to scratch my back (which was more like a back tickle than a hearty scratching). He continued for several minutes without a single complaint when I said, "James, did you know that having my back scratched is one of my favorite things in the whole world?"
His matter of fact reply was immediate, "Well, Mom! Didn't you know that I'm the scratching machine?!" I laughed and a few more minutes passed when he said, "But Mom, my arm is getting really tired."
At this point I heard another pair of little feet in the hallway...this time it was Max carrying all of his gear including: pillow, "C" (silky blanket), booka (Nuk), and musical teddy. He crawled into bed on the other side of me creating the perfect "Mommy Sandwich."
I think every day should begin just like this.

7 comments:

sara said...

Oh I just love this.

Mrs. Cropper said...

oh i really like this story. for some reason i'm in a major 'i don't love my job' funk lately. thanks for a reminder of how good it can be to just relax and love those moments.

Rachel Haack said...

Joan, this brings tears. I adore the mornings with my girls. And because I'm a lazy mother (and London wakes up early) I just sleep until I hear her swishy diaper and pitter patter feet coming into my room. I get to open my eyes to her staring directly into my face, about 3 centimeters away, with her massive blonde bed-head and tear drop eyes. She just whispers, "Maaaaaa Maaaaaaaaaaaaa".

It's a perfect alarm clock. Cuddling with them in the morning is HEAVEN.

Thanks for sharing such a sweet intimate moment.

rae

Olivia Carter said...

Hey, I wanted to give you the link to that cute alphabet poster. It was on the etsy mainpage the other day & I just fell in love. There's also a link on the blog post about baby stuff but here's the site: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40816771

thebusbyfamily said...

that mommy sandwich does sound nice!

i've been wanting to call you and tell you to come over and sit with me while enjoying a dc and let the kids play on the tramp, but i always talk myself out of it thinking you probably have more important things to do. i guess i've told you now! maybe sometime soon?

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

I completely agree...nothing is better than snuggling...and a scratching machine...hmmmm wonder if I could get my 9 year old to commit to that job...

K said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... these are the moments and make potty training, the flu, and finicky eaters ALL WORTH IT :)