Saturday, May 29, 2010

Preschool Graduation!

James would not stop talking about the trophy he was going to get from his teachers. It is his first trophy...and boy oh boy is he proud of it :)


I couldn't help but think of Bob's (Mr. Incredible) and Helen's (his wife--from the Disney movie "The Incredibles") conversation when Dash is "graduating" from 4th to 5th grade while attending James' preschool graduation. I think the reason I thought of this particular exchange is because when I think of a "graduation" I think of high school or college...not preschool. It just seems paradoxical to me...but in a cute and endearing way.
And I also feel like we ceremonialize (not a word) everything and sometimes (not always) it cheapens things. We often make a bigger deal out of the simple things and then when the really complex, intense accomplishments come along we have no way of making that celebration stand out. I know I am over-analyzing this...but this is my blog...so I can say whatever I want, right?

Helen
: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.
Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.
Helen: It's a ceremony!
Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but if someone is genuinely exceptional...

Not that graduating from preschool isn't a big deal to a five year old little boy...IT IS! And not that James is anything close to mediocre...b/c for those of you who know him know he is an exceptional boy and a treasure. But like I said...preschool and graduation just sound a little silly to me.
Honestly though, I am immensely proud of the knowledge he has gained. I can breathe easy knowing he is properly prepared for Kindergarten. Not that I couldn't have prepped him myself...but when you find a darling preschool, run by two women who share your same values, who are meticulous and structured and only charge 85 dollars a month for 2.5 hours/three days a week---you just can't pass it up! Besides, it was the highlight of James' weeks.

Here are a few more pictures:
Teacher Amanda, James, & Teacher Laura
The children performed "The Gingerbread Man" play as a part of their graduation ceremony.
James was the proud butcher! haha.

Now he is off to enter the world of Kindergarten!? I'm going to be a mess on his first day...who am I kidding: his first WEEKS!

6 comments:

shannon said...

Way to go James!!!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

Congratulations Jimmie! And yes, Joan, Kindergarten makes mothers weep....I can remember it well....I still cry on the first day of school...and mine are heading into 8th, 6th, and 5th grades....GEEZE....I am OLD!

thebusbyfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Shaeffer Family said...

Jimmy is all grown up! How lucky to have such a great preschool with everything you could ask for! My mother in law runs a preschool in California and I wondered if there were nice, good preschools like that everywhere or if I had to ship my kid to her house for a year! :) Kindergarden seems like such a jump! Scary! For him, but mostly for you! You can do it Joanie! :)

p.s. thanks for always commenting on my lame blog posts! I know I can always count on you! :)

The Skeehan Family said...

I am dying laughing because with all the "graduations" lately, I've been thinking of that line from the Incredibles a ton. However, like you said, he loved it, he is far from mediocre and why not have a little party :)

he looks so proud of his trophy, I LOVE it. :)

and ps, I'm never letting Claire and Samantha go to kindergarten. Nope, nope nope.

Fawn Becker said...

OH Joanie I know what you mean about Kindergarten....soooooo sad! I really wish it was a half day. Our babies are going to school, crazy! Remember when they were so little and we would swim at the beach pool?