The crying began last night. Brandon caught me downstairs doing laundry sobbing. Having your oldest child start kindergarten while being pregnant is emotional suicide. I don't recommend it.
I walked him in to his classroom this morning and helped him put his backpack in his cubby and his lunch on the wagon (it's so cute how his teacher pulls a red Radio Flyer wagon to the cafeteria with all the lunches stacked inside).
I walked him to his seat and knelt down next to his little chair and desk with four other students. He picked out a hand full of crayons and began writing his name on the paper in front of him. He chose a separate color for each letter and his "J" was written backward. So cute.
I kissed the inside of his hand and he kissed mine and then as I felt the tears well up in my eyes I knew I had seconds before the down pour would begin. So, I quickly kissed his chubby, soft cheek and said, "Have a wonderful day, okay? I will see you at lunch time." Then I bolted for the door and began shamelessly crying as I fled down the hallway and out the door to where Brandon was waiting with Max and our toy poodle, "Tigger." B would have joined us in the classroom but no dogs are allowed in school (duh). Should have thought of that one before we left the house. Brandon hugged me and we walked home together (we only live about four minutes walking distance from James' school--which is nice).
I cried off and on most of the morning, called my Mom and vented to her about how stupid the public school system is...and then waited till 2: 15 so Max and I could walk back to school and pick up my baby. After sweating half to death, we made it home when James exclaimed, while wrapping his little arms around my neck, "Mom, I didn't even miss you!" Which in all honesty made me SO happy because it means that he didn't spend his day miserable and lonely...like his Mother. It's a darn good thing I have Max...and another sweet boy growing in my tummy or I might not survive all this.
In fact funny side note: on Sunday James told me that sometimes he has a hard time thinking about Jesus because all he thinks about is Mario and Sonic!? The kid is a crack up.

12 comments:
I was pregnant when my first started kindergarten too. It was pretty horrible! It gets easier... but I still cry every year. (I cried dropping them off at preschool too, though. I'm a crybaby.)
This year we have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. I'll probably be able to hold it together (until I get home...).
It's definitely worse with the oldest. I cried a little with my others but nothing like that first day for the first kid. It helps that the younger kids have seen their siblings do it and they're just excited ~ and not so scared ~ at least that's how my kids were. So when they're nothing but excited, it makes it less sad. It's nice though that you can look around and see lots of other moms trying to hide their tears and keeping their sunglasses on :) We all feel this way!
What a cute little man he is.
Oh Joan - cry me a river that was the sweetest post...I could just picture it with tears.
I can't handle the thought, I'm so glad I have one year left...but still. Why do we only get five measly years - FIVE - before we have to hand them over?!!
rae
I can vouch for Joan- she was a wreck. Poor girl.
Everything made me cry when I was pregnant. If I was pregnant right now I'd be in tears. Like the day I ran over a gecko in the garage.
How stinkin funny is his confession. I love it
i called you yesterday to see how you were doing . . .
sounds you were doing just how i expected :)
xo
My heart is aching...What a wonderful mommy you are.
Joan,
I completely agree with you! What a rough day for us moms, but I am so happy that both our boys seemed to have enjoyed their first day of kindergarten.
I still can't believe they are that old!!! and that we will soon have three boys! How did Max do? I am looking forward to a couple months of just Alex and I.
I'm blubbering just reading this! WOW! Wow! wow!
So far, every single year, every single child I have bawled my eyes out. And funny, Malachi is my one I cry with still. He's my boy, and my hugs when I need them.
So so cute....just wait til your last one heads through the school doors....that will probably be the worst, I imagine.
oh, we're weeks away from this and i just want to put my head under my pillow and say "na-na-na-na" and pretend it's not really happening.
love you. james is sure a cute li'l kindergartner!
xo
Dearest Joan...loved seeing you guys in Mesa, thanks for coming.
Not just an oldest child thing. ALL 10 of us showed up to see Larissa (the youngest of 8) off to kindergarten, I have the picture to prove it. The worst is dropping them off for college. Me sobbing in the parking lot of BYU saying goodbye to Rachel and then after driving off, my husband Ira reminds me that he remembers when I wished Rachel would have moved away - I cried and said "That was when she was a Junior in High School, I like her now!"
Post a Comment