Considering Max's birth was high risk, as he was 11.4lbs, I decided to deliver Benson early...and at a hospital (instead of at home)...and with an epidural. Yeah, I know. I went from one birth extreme to another and I have to say I quite liked it.
The analogy that best describes the two ends of the birthing spectrum for me is running a marathon vs. running a 5k. Max's birth being the marathon--obviously, and Benson's being the 5k. With a 5k you feel satisfied, tired, and accomplished---and yet with a marathon (being that I have never run in a marathon, this is just what I imagine), you feel all of those same emotions but hate your life at some point in the race.
Okay, far too much back story...moving on:
We went into the hospital at 8am and by noon the resident had put in a cervical balloon to induce labor. After about 30 minutes, the resident performed an ultrasound to make sure baby was still head down. Little Bensey decided he did not like the balloon and turned foot first (naughty boy). My O.B. was informed and came to the hospital. We decided to try and flip the baby manually...ie: I layed down on my back while the resident put his hands on Benson's bum and Dr. Nelson had his head (hands on my tummy) and with a sweeping motion they flipped him so he was head first again. It was a mildly invasive procedure but not as bad as it sounds.
Dr. Nelson checked me at that point and I was dilated to a 3. I was then put on a low dose of pitocin to get labor going. I s-l-o-w-l-y progressed to a five and then asked for my epidural. Oh, wonder of wonders! It was lovely. The anesthesiologist gave me the perfect dose. I could move my legs and mildly feel the contractions but the edge was gone.
I stalled at that point for about 5 hours---stuck at a five. I was a bit frustrated and a little concerned that I would need a c-section. Eventually the doc ordered to up my pitocin again and I jumped from a five to an eight quickly. I was ready to push at that point (it was 1:10AM ish) and we sat there waiting for my friend, Melissa (who I love forever for capturing the magic of this birth so beautifully through photography) and my good sister, Jessica.
They both arrived within ten minutes or so and I started to push. Little Benson's head and shoulders were out after about five pushes when Dr. Nelson said, "Reach down and pull out your baby, Joanie." I reached down and layed sweet Benson onto my chest all new and soft and perfect. It was one of life's indescribable moments.
And now for the story in pictures (thank you, Melissa):
Okay, far too much back story...moving on:
We went into the hospital at 8am and by noon the resident had put in a cervical balloon to induce labor. After about 30 minutes, the resident performed an ultrasound to make sure baby was still head down. Little Bensey decided he did not like the balloon and turned foot first (naughty boy). My O.B. was informed and came to the hospital. We decided to try and flip the baby manually...ie: I layed down on my back while the resident put his hands on Benson's bum and Dr. Nelson had his head (hands on my tummy) and with a sweeping motion they flipped him so he was head first again. It was a mildly invasive procedure but not as bad as it sounds.
Dr. Nelson checked me at that point and I was dilated to a 3. I was then put on a low dose of pitocin to get labor going. I s-l-o-w-l-y progressed to a five and then asked for my epidural. Oh, wonder of wonders! It was lovely. The anesthesiologist gave me the perfect dose. I could move my legs and mildly feel the contractions but the edge was gone.
I stalled at that point for about 5 hours---stuck at a five. I was a bit frustrated and a little concerned that I would need a c-section. Eventually the doc ordered to up my pitocin again and I jumped from a five to an eight quickly. I was ready to push at that point (it was 1:10AM ish) and we sat there waiting for my friend, Melissa (who I love forever for capturing the magic of this birth so beautifully through photography) and my good sister, Jessica.
They both arrived within ten minutes or so and I started to push. Little Benson's head and shoulders were out after about five pushes when Dr. Nelson said, "Reach down and pull out your baby, Joanie." I reached down and layed sweet Benson onto my chest all new and soft and perfect. It was one of life's indescribable moments.
And now for the story in pictures (thank you, Melissa):
I look at this picture and think how completely different my labor was with Max, in terms of setting. I was laying in a plastic kiddie pool in my bedroom with Max's labor...and here I am at the hospital filled with every imaginable medical contraption. Such different settings--but in the end, I was blessed with a healthy baby boy, which is all that matters.
There's the belly. Its so bizarre to me that one minute I am pregnant and the next, I have a precious little boy in my arms.
Me and my Sis...she's been at all three of my babies' births.
Me and my Sis...she's been at all three of my babies' births.
Best moment of my life (tied with the day I said, "Yes" to the man I love, the day I delivered James, and the day I delivered Max).




11 comments:
Those photos are wonderful!!! I am in love with all your boys! Give them all a big old Grandma kiss from me! xoxoxo Sue
Oh wow, great story and gorgeous pictures and beautiful baby!! Congrats again; what a cute family you all are.
I love hearing birth stories! I love when they turn out so great! I love hearing your comparison between your births! I love that you have your cozy'pill' with you! I love how big and healthy his umbilical cord is! But most of all I love Bensie! I am so glad I got to meet the little smoosh! I thought he looks like Max but with his eyes open he looks more like Jimmie...he's a mix! And I love you too Joanie!
I love birth stories! Dr. Nelson IS awesome. And I love that little cute baby of yours! I am amazed at how much he already looks like your family. Congrats to you!
What a little chunker! I am so glad you got the epidural this time, I was dying about your last birth! You are WAY more brave than me. Go mama!
He is so delicious!! And James and Max are such adorable big brothers!! Bless your friend for documenting that day! What a treasure! I'm so glad it was such a wonderful experience! You have your beautiful Benson!! Congratulations, Joanie and Brandon!!!! :)
what a perfect little love.
i really like the picture of benson & james. what a sweet big brother :)
Oh joan, he is SO stinkin cute. I love that you got pictures like that. I'm going to have to find a photographer i feel close enough to come see all this :)
Yeah! I finally see pictures of the cute little benson! He looks so chunky in that last pictures...can't imagine 3 more pounds on top of that with max! Glad everything went so well. Can't wait to meet him:)
Congrats Joan & Brandon :) He is adorable & such a sweet addition to your cute boys!
I LOVE this post. I miss u and heart you and all of your boys.
Post a Comment