I competed in a sprint triathlon a few weekends ago up at Pyramid Lake in Nevada. My friend Rae captured the event with some photos.
It was an awesome challenge and considering I didn't train for it (I swam Emigrant Lake with my Auntie B once and took a leisurely bike ride one breezy Saturday with with B). With that being said, I shouldn't be surprised that I finished 200th out of, eh ehm, 213. Yeah, a bit of an uncomfortable humble pill for me to swallow b/c I consider myself a decent athlete...but I'm just being hard on myself.
I told B I had two goals with the race:
1. To finish. 2. To NOT be last.
I guess it was a success then, right?! :)
Let the race begin!
Love that I was one of the first in the water and one of the last out. haha.
Swimming 1/2 a mile in a muddy, wave ridden lake is really, really scary and hard.

Just got out of the water. Notice that there is at least one or two ladies behind me. So I wasn't last, last out of the water...just like, third last.
Are you sick of my self deprecating tone yet?
Running up the beach after the swim. It KICKED MY BUM!
14 mile bike ride after the swim.
Check out the rad war hero in the blue shirt. That guy has stories to tell with an arm missing and a serious blast to the leg. I have SO much respect for men/women like him.
Bringing it home strong after the bike ride with a 3 mile run.
Your legs feel like they weigh 800 pounds after pedaling a bike for 14 miles. It was tough...but that last mile I was amped up and excited to finish!
Are you sick of my self deprecating tone yet?
Running up the beach after the swim. It KICKED MY BUM!
14 mile bike ride after the swim.
Check out the rad war hero in the blue shirt. That guy has stories to tell with an arm missing and a serious blast to the leg. I have SO much respect for men/women like him.
Bringing it home strong after the bike ride with a 3 mile run.
Your legs feel like they weigh 800 pounds after pedaling a bike for 14 miles. It was tough...but that last mile I was amped up and excited to finish!



16 comments:
That's my determined girl. Always fighting to be better. I am proud.
Awww, thanks Mama :)
I love it Joanie! No need to bash yourself; you did great!!
You are one sexy mother of three. Brandon is lucky! (wink. wink)
You're awesome Joanie!!
That is awesome. I am so totally jealous. That is one of my "bucket list" items too. You've got me so motivated. Wow.
Is it at all comical that the word verification for me is "when e ran"???
Wow you go girl! That is so awesome! And look in that last pic, you aren't even touching the ground! What the heck! Thats such an accomplishment!
You are my hero! I admire your determination. Now, next time those boys give you a challenging day, you just say to yourself, "If I can finish a triathlon, then I can take anything they can dish out!!!" You are amazing!
The swim alone makes you totally awesome in my book! I don't think I could ever do a triathlon because of the swim. You rock! Way to go girl! I'm also hoping not to come in last during my half marathon on saturday...
You are awesome. You LOOK like such an athlete in those pics. I'll admit, I'm inspired :) Way to go, Joan!
Joan failed to mention that after this triathalon, she drove 13-14 hours alone with our three children and dog across the desert to come home early and surprise me. I was certainly surprised!
You go girl.
You look hot too. Please tell me who else can post of picture of their BACKSIDE as they run up a beach in their swimsuit? !!!
You have no cellulite. How does this happen?!! Have I mentioned lately that I hate you?
;)
way to go!!!!!
love you
hot momma!! You look AWESOME!! and I love your shoes :)
Woot woot!!! Joan is the bomb!!
I agree with Rae! Have you really had 3 kids???? You look great! How awesome that you did this. And who cares that you came in 200th place-at least you did it and you looked hot while doing it too!
so I may or may not also be listening to Defying Gravity as I read this post - those in combination make me beyond inspired. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? That is insane. I am beyond proud. Holy cow. Not only did you finish but you decided to do it in the first place. That is freakin' awesome. You pretty much just rock. period.
Post a Comment