Friday, August 26, 2011

Tender Moments


Did you know that my sweet Benson boy has rejected me?! Well, rejected nursing, which by extension means he doesn't care about/need me anymore :(
The painful truth is I have always been one of those women who shake their heads in disgust at mothers who claim their infant, "just doesn't want to nurse anymore. I guess he/she is over it."
Psshhh. Yeah, okay?! Whatever. Babies love nursing! It's an innate need and desire. You must have done something wrong or they would still be breast fed.
Whoa, did I eat my words or what?!
I tried EVERYTHING! I was dead set on having him nurse until 18months just like his two older brothers did. It was a literal battle between Mom and baby and finally it came down to me holding him in nursing position one morning while he looked up at me like, "What do you want me to do with this thing, Mom? I'm seriously over it but it's obvious that you're not."
In all honestly its a pride thing more than anything for me. That's a painful truth to admit...but as my Mother always says, "Call a spade a spade."

Here's a Max story that will pull at your heart strings:
We (me, Max, & Bens) are sitting in the car headed to Target and I started to sing, "Jesus said love everyone, treat them kindly too. When your heart is filled with love, others will love you."
Max paused for a moment after the song was over and said, "Mom, I have so much love in my heart...but sometimes people are just mean to me."
Tender, tender.
Earlier that same day we were sitting at the table. He was eating his cheese roll and grapes after preschool and I was chatting with him about his day. He swallowed his bite and with his little cheek in his hand with his elbow resting on the table, he looked into my eyes and said, "Mom, I like you."
Not too many moments after that he continued, "Mom, I want to marry you."

James Story:
We are in the car (again) and Max asks, "Mom, can Jesus make you fly?"
Before I had a chance to respond James interjected with, "Max, Jesus won't make you really fly with your body but he makes you fly in your heart."

Can you believe the tender wisdom and sweetness of these boys of mine?! Man o man, I am blessed!






7 comments:

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

So precious. So glad you document these moments. BTW, in case I haven't told you about my nursing experiences with Fel and Mal...Felicity threw breast milk up for 6 weeks...and finally stopped. Mal, after nursing for six months, decided, "hey, mom, I'm done...this whole boob in the mouth business is way to slow for my growing body just give me the bottle..." and honestly, he hasn't stopped eating since. Norah (and I swore that she wouldn't nurse b/c my others didn't...not that I wouldn't nurse her, but that she just wouldn't make it long)...nursed for almost 18 months...kids will be kids - and he will love you none the less!

Joan said...

you are soooo blessed. Cling to every special moment and cherish them

Single-Mother Land said...

Awww what a sweet heart- I wish I had a daughter to marry your little hunk!

I was so upset over Noah not wanting to nurse anymore.. I cried and cried. I didn't want my baby's perfect digestive system to be tainted with FORMULA! LOL. I don't know what happened either cause we did fine the first six months.... oh well. Babies don't stay babies for long but they grow up to be the most tender hearted boys :)

LilMisfit said...

Welcome to the club! The sad club of women who have babies who quit nursing when you aren't ready! Brooklyn and Presley both stopped themselves at 9 months and I think it was bordering on child abuse the way I was trying to force Brooklyn to keep doing it! It stinks when they quit before you are ready and I'm sorry!

Rachel Haack said...

I love the stories about your boys.Please post more, I know they just keep em coming! That Max - I could just cry: "sometimes they are mean to me."?!!!!!? Don't you just want to sucker punch the little tykes responsible for such a statement! lol.
I don't care that you're only three, kid: you make my child say something as heart wrenching as that and you. MUST. PAY.

No, I'm not that crazy mom on the playground. Never. ;)

And karma is such a beast, is it not? I love you for being willing to admit your preconceived notions. We all have them. I am the queen of getting smacked in my snooty face with karmic justice. And yet, i'm still anxiously awaiting it to pummel those few annoyingly judgmental women I know...

thebusbyfamily said...

i'm worried that aspen is the one to blame for such a statement . . .

eclaires said...

I love these little moments. So glad you took the time to document them and in turn, allowed us in on them. What sweet kids.