Monday, March 5, 2012

Joan


I feel like I've really thrown in the towel with blogging to some degree. Not that I don't post about the birthdays or a cute photo I took with Benson on my bike or whatever...but I haven't really written about me. How do I feel about my life. What am I thinking or feeling or doing? The title of this blog is called, "Joan's Life," right? So, where is the "Joan" in all of this? I should try and be a bit more introspective. I feel like I am but I don't sit and take the time to write those things down as well as I should.

I was feeling super frustrated with the world the other day and how it is entirely void of decency, respect, and all things sacred. For example
, we were perusing Barnes and Noble the other weekend with the boys and Sabina. I was chasing Benson around while he pulled things off the shelves. Sabina was walking around with James and Max while they looked through an assortment of children's books and Lego paraphernalia. Brandon perused home magazines (he is a closet architectural digest, dwell, modern home etc. junky).
He walked over to me after several minutes looking ready to go when I noticed that his face was red. Side note: my good husband wears everything on his face especially guilt (not that that is an emotion he feels regularly but when he does, you know). It doesn't help his cause either that I am the most perceptive wife ever...well, maybe you've got me trumped, Rae.
I said, "Why is your face red? What happened?"
He responded, "I was flipping through a book about home design and there was a naked girl in it."
Bless my husband's heart forever and ever. Oh how I love this pure, good man!
I stormed over to the filthy, pornographic book disguising its contents as "home design" in horror and began vigorously flipping through the pages. Sabina walked up behind me and laughed, "Are you trying to find the picture of the naked girl?!"
"Well, yes!" I responded, realizing how silly I was.
The girl was laying on a couch ENTIRELY nude and in a sensual position to boot!?! I tossed the filth back on the shelf utterly disgusted all while reaffirming my conclusion that the world is going to hell in a hand basket and trying desperately to take my three innocent, darling boys AND husband along for the ride!
NO WAY! NOT EVER are you going to rip these precious children from my fiery, passionate, protective care! And my husband?! Over my dead body!!!
I am sick for these sad, sad women who allow themselves to become such pathetic, salacious, pornographic filth for a few bucks and all in the name of "self expression" and "sexual freedom?!!?" Really? Is that what we've come to?!
I realize that I cannot and even in some bizarrely twisted way shouldn't protect my boys from everything. I know they have to live in and among people that do not share our beliefs or moral views. It is all a part of life: gaining experience, learning from mistakes and moving onward and upward. I just have this awful pit in my stomach, knowing that their sweetness is being sucked away every second of every day. Their innocent eyes will at some point behold horrible, horrible things just like my poor, unsuspecting husband.
I just pray and plead and cry that they will have the desire, the strength, and the will to turn away from the filth and cleave fiercely to the good. It is my personal mission statement to do all in my power to teach them how to be valiant, strong, independent, confident men who desire all the light and truth and purity in the world.
As a Mother, that is my one true desire for my sons. I will hope for that and work for that every moment.

So...there is a little bit of "Joan" for ya.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks JOAN! I, too, am constantly worried about this crazy world and how I can prepare them for it! Dealing with all that "teenage" stuff that is no longer "teenage" stuff, but something they can encounter already as 7! years olds, makes me want to live in a cave. But I am not a fan of being over protective or sheltering them, so I must figure out a way to prepare them. Luckily, they have very strong, priesthood holders for dads and that is the best way to start :)

Jenn and Greg said...

AMEN! My sweet friend!, love you tons!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

I am totally in agreement with you. Yuck! I even proof every book my children want to read, just to double check the content. Not to mention movies... and magazines... yup that too. I have to be especially careful by ripping out the "horrible" adds in sports magazines, knowing that my boys (all of them) LOVE to read sports magazines. Its just disgusting, and sad, and degrading... what is the world coming to?!!?!

BTW, did you find the Tiger's Curse series?!?!

thebusbyfamily said...

I agree wholeheartedly! and that is a beautiful picture of you by the way :)

Rachel Haack said...

Yay! More of the Joanie I know and love! Don't get me wrong, I love the random birthday photos too, but it was nice to hear such detail. Although, sorry it had to be about the filth of world. Apparently nothing can be sold anymore without a naked woman attached.?!
To borrow and modify a quote i recently heard: the world is full of evil, but it is also full of the overcoming of it!

rae

Ps love the pic

K said...

I love you, Joan. You fight ardently for the spiritual survival of your family - you are valiant and shining. Ok, I know I sound cheesy, but I just think you are wonderful :) I abhor all the skimpy magazine covers in the checkout isles and the side bars on web pages talking about how to loose butt fat. Really?! Do I NEED to see a picture of someone else's rear end? I'm ALREADY motivated to lose - I do NOT need some kind of a photo reminder.
Oh, the role of mothers and wives. I'll take it.

Mrs. Cropper said...

Oh man, I HEAR YA. It is sometimes terrifying to think that my pure little boys are soon to be exposed to the filth of the world. But, I am confident that they can and will rise above it. (With the right parenting and MUCHO help from the Lord, right?)

love you, JOAN.

anne