Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Note


I teach the 16 and 17 year old girls at church and I genuinely enjoy it. The really fun part is I used to teach these same girls when they were 12 and then I moved up to the older class. So, I've had the pleasure of watching them discover who they are and now I get to teach them yet again.
It's a heavy responsibility and one I don't take lightly. I have one sacred hour each week to fill these young ladies up with all things good, virtuous, & noble.
We live in a lonely and ever-changing world. I hope that I give these girls a small moment on Sunday to stand on solid ground and help them truly see the remarkable women they are destined to become.
I received a simple card in the mail yesterday from one of my girls. It is a note I would like to immortalize. Once you read it, you will understand why...

Sister Koplin, (note: we call each other "sister" and "brother" at church b/c we are all brothers and sisters and God is our Heavenly Father).

I remember being a beehive
(beehive is the name of the class for girls 12-13 years old) and receiving a letter from you in the mail. It was after this that I went and bought four different stationary sets.
Throughout Young Womens I have used a lot of the cards but I still have many left. With you as my inspiration, I have decided to write a letter each night until I leave for college in June.
I will probably have to buy even more letters to accomplish my goal. After receiving your letter I know that it is worth it to send them. Maybe I will even have your cute handwriting when I am done.
Probably not.
Thanks so much for being such a great example of a mom and wife for me to see. I loved on Sunday when you were honest about wanting to spend more time just goofing off with your kids. While I trusted that the other moms meant it when they said that they enjoy spending time with their kids, as a child myself I know that moms don't always spend time with their kids so your comment was more relatable for me.
I also love how you tell about when you and Brandon met that it wasn't all fireworks and butterflies.
(I think its cute and funny that she commented on this).
In all, I love everything about you and I am so glad that I have had you as my leader for all of these years.
--H.S.



This is what makes it all worth while.







6 comments:

eyre blog said...

what a cutie pa tutie. I wish you were my YW leader. When is your spring break?

shannon said...

Joan, will you come raise my daughters please? Especially Jane... She is driving me and Todd crazy right now... Testing every ounce of patience that we have combined :)
Love you. What lucky and extremely blessed young women to have you as their leader. Xoxo

eclaires said...

Well, it doesn't take much to feel appreciated, now does it? What a wonderful young woman! And what a wonderful teacher who taught her how meaningful a little note can be. :)

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

This made me cry. I wish that I had had understand to show and share the amount of gratitude I have for the leaders who inspired and taught me at probably the most difficult age in a girls life. You are definitely an inspiration. And what a beautiful tribute to you as a teacher, mother, and wife.

thebusbyfamily said...

Like I said, she just "gets it" that's a nice letter.

As her leader for so many years, I think you can pat yourself on the back for helping to shape at least a small part of such an amazing young woman

Rachel Haack said...

What a sweet girl, and I can only imagine how much those girls look up to you. Joan koplin as your laurel instructor?! Fun and enthusiastic and a great example of so many things...they ARE lucky to have you!
Heck, I'm lucky to have you as an instructor myself!!!

rae