The past four months I have been planning my baby sister's wedding. I had NO IDEA how much work a wedding was until I dug my heels in and went for it. I don't think anyone knows how much work goes in to planning a wedding. I've considered writing a book about it now that's it's off my plate: "How to Plan a Classy LDS Wedding With a Budget" or something like that, anyway.
Probably the biggest lessons I've learned are these two things:
1. You can never over plan.
2. The most important part of the day is making the bride/groom and guests feel loved.
There
were SO many people who made incredible sacrifices to attend the
wedding! It's so hard to show love and appreciation to each individual.
It's sadly impossible to spend quality time with any of them. It's
almost like going to your favorite restaurant, ordering all your
favorite foods and only being able to take a tiny bite from each thing!
It's maddening because you desperately wish you could eat one entree one
day and come back the next for the other one you love and on and on.
That's how weddings are. All your favorite people in one place and SO
little time to enjoy them.
That's why I felt like goodie bags were so important. A simple gift bag with a tag expressing appreciation and love and a variety of treats/snacks inside. A simple "thank you" goes a LONG way. Every family member from the bride and grooms sides received a goodie bag. There were a hand full of other people who we gave a bag too as well such as close friends who traveled from out of town.
My friend Kelly saved my life the day of the wedding because she took care of setting up the entire reception site (we set up tables and chairs the night before). She dealt with every detail and flower arrangement. Everything looked so lovely.
I think my only disappointment with the reception was that I didn't realize how obscure all my decorations would look in such a big, open space. At home on my dining table everything looked great. I thought I had all my bases covered. Once those decorations were put out in a massive space they looked small and didn't have as much wow factor as I'd hoped for.
All in all I was SO pleased with how the day went. I really felt good about everything and let's be honest, I would be happy to never have to plan a wedding again. It is a massive undertaking!
That's why I felt like goodie bags were so important. A simple gift bag with a tag expressing appreciation and love and a variety of treats/snacks inside. A simple "thank you" goes a LONG way. Every family member from the bride and grooms sides received a goodie bag. There were a hand full of other people who we gave a bag too as well such as close friends who traveled from out of town.
My friend Kelly saved my life the day of the wedding because she took care of setting up the entire reception site (we set up tables and chairs the night before). She dealt with every detail and flower arrangement. Everything looked so lovely.
I think my only disappointment with the reception was that I didn't realize how obscure all my decorations would look in such a big, open space. At home on my dining table everything looked great. I thought I had all my bases covered. Once those decorations were put out in a massive space they looked small and didn't have as much wow factor as I'd hoped for.
All in all I was SO pleased with how the day went. I really felt good about everything and let's be honest, I would be happy to never have to plan a wedding again. It is a massive undertaking!
Happy Wedding Day, Mr. & Mrs. German!
(maybe I should get a wedding photo from them--haha)
(maybe I should get a wedding photo from them--haha)


0 comments:
Post a Comment